Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Ultegra Di2 Internal Battery

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Ultegra Di2 Internal Battery

Postby WalrusWrench » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:14 am

Hello All...

Have seen this board referenced and quoted many times before, so I figured this would be the place to ask...

I am interested in internalizing an Ultegra Di2 battery on a bike. The frame is a Specialized Tarmac with a closed BB, so I am pretty much limited to fabricating a seatpost unit (due to the lack of access to the down tube or seat tube, and the very small port opening at the bottom of the BB shell). Fairly easily achieved with a Dura-Ace setup, but as we all know it is less straightforward with the Ultegra group.

If the frame in question had an open BB shell, I would have just used the coupler of the BMR-1 mount with a LION pack and stuffed it into the seat or down tube (to achieve proper CANBUS (?) signalling). But that option is not feasible here. To that end I have opened the mount myself to investigate, and figured I would post pictures of my findings here. In all the time I have spent researching this online I have yet to see a photo of these internals posted anywhere, so I thought this might be a help to the community at large...

Here are front and back side pictures of the PCB that is inside the E Tube SM-BMR-1 mount (long, internal).
Ultegra SM-BMR1 PCB (E tube connector side).jpg

Ultegra SM-BMR1 PCB (battery side).jpg

Anyone else able to decipher what is actually going on there?
WalrusWrench
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling