Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Hydraulic converter for road

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Hydraulic converter for road

Postby Fukulow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:28 am

I think UCI will permit to use disc brakes on road race in the near future.
I plan to build new road racer with disc brakes and also using some hydraulic converter.
Now we can buy TRP Parabox, Hope V-Twin and Tr!ckstuff Doppel Moppel.

http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1141&catid=185
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG343
http://www.trickstuff.de/de/products/Doppelmoppel.php

How do you think which converter is the best? :D
Fukulow
Cat 5

Re: Hydraulic converter for road

Postby dkrenik » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:30 pm

I wish my German was better and the Trickstuff looks pretty cool.
dkrenik
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:59 am

Any specific questions about the Trickstuff?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dkrenik » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:07 pm

No, not really. To be honest, I don't enough about what they're offering to ask. Perhaps off to Google Translate...
dkrenik
Cat 4

Postby seitenryu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 am

I've got the Hope V-Twin and it's everything you'd expect from Hope. It comes with the usual color options and much more accessible spare parts. I've got mine attached to a pair of M4s--their AM caliper. Weight with uncut hoses was a little bit more, but pretty close to Shimano CX-75 mechanical discs with full cables/housing. If you opted for the standard X2 calipers I'm sure it would be the other way around. Especially if you used all the tuning options(Ti bolts, Al backed organic pads, etc.). For me I gladly accepted the weight penalty for what I think is the best brake feel possible. The X2 calipers probably share similar power to the other convertors. My guess is that they'd have enough braking power, but fantastic modulation. The M4 calipers meet or exceed the braking power of a strong road caliper with new pads in dry conditions. The only niggle I have is that the mounting bracket is a little flimsy. It relies partially on the housing and hoses to support the convertor's weight. To prevent excess vibration you can easily mount a small strip of foam beneath your stem and either fasten it with hook and loop closures or tie wraps.
seitenryu
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling