Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Rotor "Q rings" vs compact crank

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Rotor "Q rings" vs compact crank

Postby Tlford94 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:53 am

I live in Oklahoma where it is pretty hilly and constantly windy! It's like living in a wind tunnel here! So I'm debating on switching to the Q rings or going to a compact crank set up. I am currently running a dura ace 7800 172.5 crank with the standard 53/39 chain rings. If I go with the Q rings I get to keep my dura ace cranks. If I go to a compact I'm looking at the ultegra 6750 compact with 50/34 chain rings. Which option is the better choice? Are the new ultegra cranks equal or better than the dura ace 7800?
Tlford94
Cat 5

Re: Rotor "Q rings" vs compact crank

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:02 am

Well, a standard Q-ring changes between a 56 and 51, so it's still more than a compact chainring at every point. I can't find what the little ring is like, but I'd suspect it's the same.

Also while for some they appear to be working really well, it's not like a 5 tooth or 10+% power increase out of the nowhere.

You can mount a pair of 52/38. Maybe with a different cassette that would be enough.

The Ultegra 6750 has the 3D chainrings, which is nice, but I'm not sure I'd call it superior to 7800.

BTW, when going compact I'd always check if 50/36 isn't the better combo for a particular rider.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: Rotor "Q rings" vs compact crank

Postby Tlford94 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Thank you for the info and the reply.
Tlford94
Cat 5

Return to General cycling