Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Ultregra di2 front shifting problem

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Ultregra di2 front shifting problem

Postby brianledford » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere. I have a recently installed Ultegra di2 group stop shifting on the front derailleur suddenly. rear shifts work fine and the front derailleur still autotrims, but it doesn't respond to the shifter at all. The battery is fully charged and it was working fine prior to the sudden onset. Is there an straightforward way to diagnose where (shifter, derailleur, wire, junction, ?) the problem is? I've done the standard obvious things you'd do for a computer (check the wire connections, unplug/replug the battery).

thanks for any help/suggestions,

brian
brianledford
Cyclotourist

Re: Ultregra di2 front shifting problem

Postby DartanianX » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:01 pm

First thing to try would be hold down the lever to do the battery check function! If you get a battery level indication then you know that the problem is further down the line and not in the shifter!

If you get no battery indication light, unwrap your bar tape and check the connections. I've had this happen to me before where I've been doing a sprint or effort and been pulling quite hard on the hoods etc and because there wasn't enough slack in the cable the connection just popped out. So what I did was unwrapped my bars, tightened my shifter clamp, and gave the wire a little slack so it has some give if the shifter moves slightly.

Cheers
DartanianX
Cat 5

Postby brianledford » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:21 pm

thanks! it was a loose connection.
brianledford
Cyclotourist

Postby pawnii » Mon May 07, 2012 3:33 pm

i bet it was the cable connection to the left shifter. It takes a bit of effort to push the plug in so it clicks in place.
I had the same problem.
pawnii
Cat 5

Return to General cycling