Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Wet weather Tubular Build

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Wet weather Tubular Build

Postby DartanianX » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Hey,

I've already got some FC 404's and some FC 808's but I'm looking for something I can ride in really windy wet races (ie Tour of Southland in NZ, Tour of Tasmania in Aus etc). So thinking Alloy and Tubular as they'll be a race wheel that I wan't to be light-ish... Also because of weather I'll be using them in there is the chance of crashing and I know Velocity rims aren't expensive so easy and cheap to replace if needed.

For rims I'm thinking Velocity Escape 16h - 20h. Hubs I'm tempted by a set of bikehubstore.com hubs for price vs weight and from what I have the read the quality is quite high too. Easy to bang some ceramic bearings in them and away I go if the stock ones aren't anything to special. Spokes I'm open to ideas. I only weigh 70kgs so weight isn't really an issue.

Any ideas or better options for any of the parts above would be awesome.

Cheers in advance.
DartanianX
Cat 5

Re: Wet weather Tubular Build

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Since this isn't a review, I took the liberty to move it from the review section to the road section. :D

Looking at the Velocity homepage they offer neither a 16 nor a 20h Escape rim.

I'm not sure if I'd build up a 390g rim with so few spokes anyways, especially if I wanted to use it in a mass start event.

For hubs, I'm really impressed with a pair of Ultegra hubs I have. They aren't light, but they hold up so well.

I'm building up a sorta similar wheel and chose CX-Ray spokes. Lightish, strong and bladed, so easy to build up. I also like the Sapim Polyax nipples.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: Wet weather Tubular Build

Postby DartanianX » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Ypsylon wrote:Since this isn't a review, I took the liberty to move it from the review section to the road section. :D

Looking at the Velocity homepage they offer neither a 16 nor a 20h Escape rim.

I'm not sure if I'd build up a 390g rim with so few spokes anyways, especially if I wanted to use it in a mass start event.

For hubs, I'm really impressed with a pair of Ultegra hubs I have. They aren't light, but they hold up so well.

I'm building up a sorta similar wheel and chose CX-Ray spokes. Lightish, strong and bladed, so easy to build up. I also like the Sapim Polyax nipples.

Sorry, first post. Getting used to the rules haha. Cheers. Yeah saw that on their website too. 24/28h It'll be then!

Yeah, I'll look into those hubs, spokes and nipples.

Cheers
DartanianX
Cat 5

Return to General cycling