Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Most Impact Resistant Road Bike Helmet

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Most Impact Resistant Road Bike Helmet

Postby Mike K. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Took a hard fall last week and fractured a vertebra in my neck. Need to replace my Giro Ionos as it is cracked. Would like to replace it with the best impact resistant helmet currently available. Anyone ever investigate the impact safety of helmets? If so which come out on top? My internet search has not produced any hard data.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Re: Most Impact Resistant Road Bike Helmet

Postby Cyco » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:36 am

Many years ago there was some discussion of a safety rating for bike helmets, with a star system like for cars, but at the time different manufacturers had varying ideas where helmets needed the best protection based on the damaged ones that had seen.

As a result it never got any further, but it would be nice to know.
If it fails just after the finish line it is over built. It should fail right on it to be the perfect weight
Cyco
Cat 3

Re: Most Impact Resistant Road Bike Helmet

Postby Mike K. » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks for the input Cyco.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Return to General cycling