Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cervelo P4 - Di2 internal

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Cervelo P4 - Di2 internal

Postby phoon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 am

Project is now complete and first comp out of the way.
Internal seat battery, internal RD cables, custom buttons on aerobars and base bar.
Some teaser photos of the build.
phoon
Cat 4

Re: Cervelo P4 - Di2 internal

Postby phoon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:04 am

P4-Di2 007.jpg
Buttons hidden under heat shrink, aero computer mount contains all
the cables for aero buttons. Nokon brake cables exit through gear holes.
P4-Di2 002.jpg
cable exits through inside of chainstay but routes to facilitate easy
wheel changes
phoon
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:22 am

That looks like a really clean project. I really wouldn't mind a walk through all that you did, if you feel like it.

How many buttons do you use total?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby phoon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:10 am

In summary the build consisted of these steps.

Drill into end of chainstay (aluminium lug) to allow cable end to pass through (approx 7mm hole),
Hole opened up for FD cable to allow end to pass through from under bracket to opening in seattube. the seattube elongated hole needed very little opening and I was careful to smooth the hole edge to miminise stree raisers.
I drilled a hole through from the BB underside and through the top of the BB to allow my battery cable to pass through. In hindsight I would have drilled it smaller, but it was large enough to pass the batter connector through.
I drilled a hole horizontally through the BB to allow access into the chainstay.
I mounted Junction box B under the BB using velcro and ensured it was away from the operation of the brake cable. Next time I have the BB cover off I will post a picture.
So from one end of the Junction box the FD cable ran up to the BB and the RD cable doubled back and entered the BB through the bracket hole. The battery cable ran straight into the BB and around the BB inner shell as did the RD cable.
To get the cable through the chainstay caused me a lot of grief and eventually I bit the bullet and cut it and spliced a flat telephone cable in, which allowed it to get past the RD cable guide tube which is bonded in.
Non of the cables under the BB are visible from outside and every hole if drilled through metal not just carbon.
For the cockpit I opened up the gear entry on the top tube per Cervelo recommendations.
All the switches were Cateye computer switches and I made a male connector for every one. I didn't cut any of the aero cable.
It took a bit of thinking to work out how to run the cables through the Easton bars but essentially the Junction boxes are inside the aero computer mount and the base bar cables enter the aero bar and route to the outside.
The base bar switches are mounted over the top of the brake levers and held with cable ties under the bar tape, but I used heat shrink to cover the switches.
Feel free to ask any questions and I will attempt to answer.
Oh, and the other thing. I did the whole lot for $1400!
phoon
Cat 4

Postby phoon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 pm

IMG_0256 (640x480).jpg

The bottom bracket detail
phoon
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:07 pm

More pics please. More shots of the aerobars and how you have the wiring going from there into the frame.

:banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby phoon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Some more pix
IMG_0257 (640x480).jpg

The aerobar switch housing
IMG_0265 (640x480).jpg

Exit point for brakes and Di2 wire
phoon
Cat 4

Postby phoon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:00 am

P4-Di2.jpg

Junction A mounted to aerobars. Wires go into the computer mount
and are then rerouted out again to the switches.
The small junctions for the split between aero and base bar
switches are inside the computer mount.
May decide to attach via Velcro to get rid of the cabel ties,
but not sure it is worth it.
phoon
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:41 pm

That's super clean. Once I finalize the aerobars on my Vicky I hope it comes out that clean. Very nice job!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby phoon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 am

Thanks pritchet74. Like any job the result is dependant upon time. I did a lot of research ( with good input from people such as yourself), plenty of thinking about how I would do it, and a lot of time actually doing it. Very happy with the result.
phoon
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:45 pm

How about a pic of the whole bike. I wish I had a P4 to build up....
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby phoon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:52 pm

IMG_0277 (640x480).jpg

The complete package!
phoon
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Ohhhhh, that's sexy!

:xBanana7
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Sharkbrtri2 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:56 am

Great job man! I´m starting mine tomorrow and i´m having a lot o doubts perhaps you can give me some tips! how about the battery ? Which one you used?
Can you show some pics of the hole on the chainstay for the Rd cable? And the one for the battery cable?
I´m thinking to put the shimano battery on the chainstay what do you think?

Aprreciatte your help!

MArcelo
Sharkbrtri2
Cyclotourist

Postby pritchet74 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:16 pm

I had the Shimano battery on the chainstay for a while on my bike before I built a battery. Just build a battery to put in your seat post - you will be much happier with that. More aero too!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Next

Return to General cycling