Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Far and Near Brake part question

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Far and Near Brake part question

Postby alexp247365 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Hello,

I am needing a replacement set of screws for a set of Far and Near brakes. These screws are the ones that secure the brake pads into the holders via the groove on the back of the pads. One of the screws was accidentally stripped, and the other has since disappeared. My local bike shop has been unsuccessful in finding a suitable replacement.

If they are not available for order, would anyone happen to have any technical details on these two screws (that are smaller than the sram ones) in hopes of finding something that would work at the hardware store?

Thanks,

Alex
alexp247365
Cyclotourist

Re: Far and Near Brake part question

Postby über-goober » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Those brakes have been really nice for me. For you too?

If it's the bolts for fixing the pad holders to the calipers they are shortish M5. And if they are the set screws that secure the pad inserts you don't need them.

I have always wondered if those are there for 'fakies' and other freestyle tricks where you brake while rolling backwards. :D I think a more likely reason is to keep the people alive who accidentally install their pad holders backwards.
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Return to General cycling