Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Hub question

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Hub question

Postby crossracer1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:52 pm

So I am looking for the advice of the knowledgeable folks on htis board. I had a set of Alchemy hubs built up with HED C2 rims this last year for my cross bike and have since put them on my road bike. I really like the hubs and rims and I want to build up another set of wheels with these rims. My question comes in that this is my first set of custom wheels so I am open to other options for hubs. Reading the hub review and seeing that the Alchemy is such a great hub. I also have the option to build the next set using CK or Dura Ace hubs. These will also be used on cross and road so they need to be durable hubs as well. I weigh in at 220 so that is another reason I originally used the ALchemy hubs. thanks for any help.
crossracer1
Cyclotourist

Re: Hub question

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:43 am

At your weight I would stick with the Alchemy hubs, but the other 2 options would work fine as well.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:33 am

Question is what you're after. Those are all mighty fine hubs, but I can't really think of anything where the Alchemy is at least as good as the other two, save for DA saving you some money and CK coming in a lot of different colors.

I have quite some miles on DA and Alchemy hubs and have a set of CK hubs here waiting to be built up, and to be honest it all came down to coincidence and mood which I bought. FWIW, when my gf felt she needed new wheels, she ended up with the DA/open pros. I'm not sure if that was because she wanted those the most or that's the one set I protected the least.

Pretty sure so far this reply isn't helping a bit, and to make things worse, I'll throw one more in the mix. I like Tune hubs a lot as well. These hold up really well in MTB use and are a bit lighter.

Oh, btw, I moved this thread from the review section to the general section of the board, just in case you wonder what happened.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby crossracer1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. To add to this I thinking about the overall cost of the build. The Alchemy are awesome hubs and I would go with them ove the CK hubs since there really is not a lot of difference in price. So the question really comes down to overall wheel strength. If I were to use DA hubs say 28/32 how are the bracing angle compared to Alchemy hubs? So will i really notice a difference in overall strength between the HED C2 rims built with Alchemy vs Dura ace hubs? thanks
crossracer1
Cyclotourist

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:45 am

I'd doubt that you could build a significantly stronger (as in impact resistant) wheel by just exchanging the hub while keeping rim and spokes the same, but I'm definelty not the wheel expert here.

I do believe that the Alchemy Orc could be built into a stiffer rear wheel.

Have you seen the hub review?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling