Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Di2 new charger style?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Di2 new charger style?

Postby redfalcon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:26 am

So Calfee has a new charger that lets you charge your internal battery by plugin into the harness at a derailluer point.
are they using some magic or can this trick be used with other batt conversions?

"We are very excited to introduce the Calfee Inline Charger for Dura Ace Di2. Simply unplug either your front or rear DA Di2 derailleur and plug our charger into the wiring harness. Our charger returns power to our battery through the DA internal wiring harness. You no longer need to remove the seat post to recharge our battery. This product in immediately available and is compatible with any Calfee DA Di2 installs, past or present."Image
redfalcon
Cat 5

Re: Di2 new charger style?

Postby toiyuet » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:55 pm

I think it's not that difficult?

toiyuet
Cyclotourist

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:57 pm

Pretty sure that's the wiring diagram for the original Di2 and not the new style.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Jeffr » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:40 pm

You can't just hook power and ground to a battery to charge it. You need a charging circuit. I don't think there is one in the battery pack. It's in the charging stand.

Please keep that in mind before ruining any expensive lipo or lion batteries.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby di2diy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 am

redfalcon wrote:So Calfee has a new charger that lets you charge your internal battery by plugin into the harness at a derailluer point.
are they using some magic or can this trick be used with other batt conversions?

"We are very excited to introduce the Calfee Inline Charger for Dura Ace Di2. Simply unplug either your front or rear DA Di2 derailleur and plug our charger into the wiring harness. Our charger returns power to our battery through the DA internal wiring harness. You no longer need to remove the seat post to recharge our battery. This product in immediately available and is compatible with any Calfee DA Di2 installs, past or present."Image

The only issue I have with this charger is that its only a charger, and will not balance the cells, and can actually damage the battery, or possibly cause the battery to catch on fire, as is not uncommon with LIPO cells, but it is a clever idea. since Calfee has a sealed case battery I would predict an explosion worst case. I have tested this type of charger, in fact I believe the same unit... from china <$10, and 2 out of 10 times, it did not turn off (not all that smart), and over charged one of the (2) LIPO cells. I unplugged it before it caused a fire, but it could if left on.
di2diy
Cat 5

Postby Jeffr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:21 am

calfee presumably includes the charging circuit with the battery and detects external power.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Return to General cycling