Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Di2 Problem

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Di2 Problem

Postby colorchange » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:45 pm

I have heavily modified the wiring on my Di2 system and have started having trouble with the system. I can't get the system to enter into micro-shift adjust mode and it doesn't indicate battery life when you hold in a shift button. When I try to enter adjust mode, the red light blinks and nothing happens.

I disconnected (one lead) the battery overnight hoping it might "reset" the shifter but no luck. Any suggestions? It still shifts and functions OK, just can't trim and use battery life function.

Thanks,

Tim
colorchange
Cat 4

Re: Di2 Problem

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:26 pm

This is the 3rd time I am typing this - my computer keeps deleting it before it posts...

Anyways, all of my problems with Di2 have had to do with the multiple modifications to the wiring harnesses - specifically poor soldering and shrink wrapping. I would go to a shop that has a new main wire harness and front wiring harness and plug each into your system individually to isolate with harness has the problem. Then either swap the harness out or re-do all of the connections in the bad harness.

I have had to do this a couple of times where a crappy solder connection came apart. Annoying, but now I am a master of soldering. OK, not a master, but the connections are now great. The key is using flux to prep each wire before soldering. Wicked strong connections that way.

Good luck!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks Pritchet, so you're saying you had similar problems, and when you resoldered, it fixed it completely? You didn't have to replace anything?

I was thinking it was a problem with the little adjustment box itself? I really dread pulling all the wires out, resoldering, and then the same thing happening.

Thanks
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:05 am

My problems were either with the RD not working at all (wires in the rear wire harness had come apart from a bad solder connection) or from my shift buttons not working (same problem, but at a different connection). All were fixed with re-soldering the wires. Perhaps somehow you fried your front control box? That would explain why the trim and battery charge light don't work.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:38 pm

I could have done something while wiring it all up. The thing supporting possible bad connections is that the problems with the box aren't always exactly the same. On rare days the battery light does work. Some days it doesn't. Most circuit problems aren't intermittent at all, soldering/connection problems often are. Ugghhh. I really don't want to pull it all apart again but I think I need to. First, I'll take it to a shop with an analyzing box just to see what they can tell me.
colorchange
Cat 4

Return to General cycling