Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Bike Insurance

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Bike Insurance

Postby Fourthbook » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Does anyone have/know about bike insurance that covers accidents and theft?

With bikes costing so much, I recently checked w/my homeowners insurance to see if I could add a 'rider' for my bike, but the company does not offer it; so, my agent and I decided to wait until my policy comes up for renewal to shop for a company that does offer it. Presumably, a policy would cover the replacement $$$ of a crash and would ease the settlement of a claim if one is hit by a car, etc.

Maybe I/we shouldn't wait...

(This is also posted on the WeightWeenies forum)
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Re: Bike Insurance

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:37 am

I guess this depends on where you live. I looked into this for Germany in 2005 or so and decided to insure myself.

Special bike insurances were just too pricey.

For a while I put the monthly fee I would have had to pay + 30 cents for each € that went into new bike parts on the side and stoped when I had more than my most expensive bike would cost should I total it.

Bike parts were expensive for a while, but it didn't really take that long and now I can use the interest to buy new stuff.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: Bike Insurance

Postby Fourthbook » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:06 am

For those in the US, especially the Midwest, here's a web site of Steve Magas, an attorney who specializes in bike-related issues:
http://www.ohiobikelawyer.com/ The site has lots of pertinent info.

From what I'm learning, most homeowner and auto policies apparently cover motor vehicle-related accidents and theft from your car or home; however, they do not cover other often $$ situations such as non car-related accidents (ie simply crashes/wrecks) and can have medical and compensation limits that might leave us SOL in a claim against a non- or under-insured motorist.
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Return to General cycling