Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Yokozuna Brake Cable Rust!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Yokozuna Brake Cable Rust!

Postby twain » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:04 pm

So I built up my Cervelo S3 in late Feb 2011. I chose Yokozuna cables; PIA to get the brake cables routed perfectly but finally did it. 6 months later, check them out. Rust in the housing! Anyone had similar experience? This said, does the rust really matter in the housing?

In terms of weight-weenie-ness, what are preferred alternatives? I've used Nokons in the past; the housing tends to get creaky - and they are a PIA to install.

Check out the pic:
Attachments
yokozuna2.jpg
twain
Cyclotourist

Re: Yokozuna Brake Cable Rust!

Postby dkrenik » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:48 pm

I've used Yokozuna's since February without any issues.

Dave
dkrenik
Cat 4

Postby Boonen » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:35 pm

I think lots of cables will look like that after a season of use, you just notice it with the yokozuna's because of their clear housing.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby j0m » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:01 pm

I didn't notice any rust on mine despite having ridden in all kinds of conditions. Can't recall ever having seen much rust on any of my cables (except for the bike permanently mounted on a trainer). Might depend on where you ride?

If it matters? I guess that's up to you to decide.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby 54ny77 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 pm

i have that same issue on bikes where i'm running reaction housing as well. doesn't affect performance one bit, since the cable's in a separate liner anyway.

but yes, i agree that it looks pretty lousy.

makes me wonder if all housing looks like that inside.
54ny77
Cat 3

Postby 4kicks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Mine did that. Then they started to crack, and its game over. Ive currently got BBB ones on the bikes as they are cheap and I coudlnt be botherered to wait for something more fancy schmancy or to listen to Nokons creaking the whole time...
"only two things are infinite; the Universe, and Human Stupidity- and I´m not so sure about the former" Albert Einstein
4kicks
Cat 3

Return to General cycling