Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Challenge Corsa Latex tube valve problems.

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Challenge Corsa Latex tube valve problems.

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:51 am

I bought a pair Challenge latex tubes near the end of last year for the wheels I use for training on my main race bike. Remarkably I have not punctured either one of them to this very day. However the valve on both of them started to leak. First the rear, then eventually the front started. It leaks at such a rapid rate, it is not able to be used now. The nice thing is they are one of the only tubes I have ever seen that you can remove the valve from. Has anyone else had this issue? Can the presta valves be purchased separately somewhere? I would hate to have to buy another tube, when the tube itself is perfectly fine. Especially if 12 months later I am in the same boat. I am utterly amazed I have not punctured either one. Since removing the rear, I had 5 punctures on wheel, 3 of which with a brand new tire.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Re: Challenge Corsa Latex tube valve problems.

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:33 am

Are you saying you can remove the entire valve, or just the valve core?

The ones I have have a removable valve core. You can use a nipple driver to close them shut, that should do the trick, hopefully.

Btw, since this is rather a question than a review, I moved it from the review section to the road section.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Juanmoretime » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 am

You actual issue may be the core on both might be loose. Did you try to tighten them? If so, yes you can get cores separately. I always have spares laying around.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:06 pm

You can add some plumbers tape around the thread of the valves as well to make sure they don't leak or turn themselves loose.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Yeah, it is the core that is leaking. So all presta valve cores are the same? I found where I can get 10 packs of Vittoria valves. Also I did try tightening them, and to no avail.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby mdeth1313 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Soloist Assassin wrote:Yeah, it is the core that is leaking. So all presta valve cores are the same? I found where I can get 10 packs of Vittoria valves. Also I did try tightening them, and to no avail.

You might try going to a local shop, I know I have so many of those things laying around from using tubulars- if you want I can send you a few in the mail- they're not new, wait, some of them might be!
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm going to try some plumber's tape first, then I'll try getting some of the vittoria cores.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Return to General cycling