Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

10.7 miles...

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

10.7 miles...

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:47 pm

...with my 8 year old daughter on the rail trail today. She finally got to riding w/out training wheels late last summer and now that she's got a week w/ no day camp before she leaves for 3 weeks of sleep-away camp, my 4 year old son is not around during the day- so off we went. It was our first "real" ride together (other than up and down our driveway and my street). She did fine, except she bonked a little over 5 miles in so we turned around. Avg speed of 7.7mph. I don't think she's ever had to put forth that much effort for almost 90 minutes, especially in this heat.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Re: 10.7 miles...

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Very cool.

I "coach" a bunch of 6-9 year olds on the track here and I don't think we go that far. Most of them are really competitive though and get faster by the week. It's awesome. When I got my license I was taught not to let small kids ride two consecutive days though, as some kind of tissue needs time to fully rebuild or something.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby mdeth1313 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Today we're off to the water park. Ok, my daughter is just an excuse for me to go. Nothing better than a place 30 minutes away filled with waterslides in the middle of a heatwave!

http://www.splashdownbeach.com/
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:05 pm

My 7 year old daughter just got on the bike with no training wheels about 4 weeks ago and she is LOVING it. We have done a 3 mile ride and it wasn't far enough for her. I told her I would buy her a new bike and, well, I think that's going to happen this weekend.

:banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:51 pm

pritchet74 wrote:My 7 year old daughter just got on the bike with no training wheels about 4 weeks ago and she is LOVING it. We have done a 3 mile ride and it wasn't far enough for her. I told her I would buy her a new bike and, well, I think that's going to happen this weekend.

:banana:

heading over to walmart for some of that top quality stuff? :grin:
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby j0m » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:00 pm

My 9 year old really likes riding. The 7 year old not so much, at least not when it's hilly (riding home from school isn't that fun as it's uphill all the way). I've tried to tell her that 7th gear is not the one to use on hills but she says that the lower gears are worse. :-) It got a bit better after they both got bike computers.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby mdeth1313 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:32 am

So this year all my daughter had been talking about was her bike ride with me last year and how she wanted to do it again before she goes to camp. Of course it was like 96 degrees out and humid as all hell today. But we went.

Last year was 10.7 miles, this year I brought more water and after about 5 miles she wanted to turn around, but I convinced her to push on - a shaded area that was surrounded by rock walls provided a nice temperature drop and we made it out 6 miles. I just made sure she had enough to drink and coaxed her through the last 2 miles, so she did 12 miles and learned that she can do more than she thought.
Turkey sandwich at Subway on the way home.

She's staying with her grandparents tonight- word has it she ate quite the dinner!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:10 am

:party:

She is a CHAMP!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Return to General cycling