Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

wheelset for 230-240lb rider

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

wheelset for 230-240lb rider

Postby mdeth1313 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:35 pm

A buddy of mine is getting into road cycling and was asking me about wheels- I told him 20/24 was out.

he's looking to go light(er) but not too expensive (say $500 or less)- any advice on spoke count, rim depth (not carbon)?

thanks!
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Re: wheelset for 230-240lb rider

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 am

Still one of my favorite wheelsets of all time, the 2004-2005 Campy Eurus. The ones with the thin steel spokes. Awesome bulletproof wheels. I had a friend who was 210# who had a set too and they never went out of true. They made them for Shimano cassettes too. Check eBay.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Thomskie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:21 pm

I'm sorry to hijack this thread mdeth but I have another question regarding a bigger rider.
A local cyclist here wants to start cycling and already has a nice bike with solid wheels. Unfortunately his saddle is always making noises... Does anyone know saddles for bigger riders? (He told me he was around 250 pound)
Thomskie
Cat 1

Postby FAQinc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 am

As far as wheels I would say anything above a Fulcrum Racing 3 is a solid choice or a Ksyrium Elite.

As far as saddles anything with metal rails is he sure it's the saddle not the contact between seatpost/frame saddle rails/clamps as those are more common noise makers than saddle itself but then again he does sound hefty.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby santa » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:07 am

I weigh in at 230 and have 32 spoke wheels, front and rear and have no problem. I built up a set of 36 spoke wheels for a major ride with serious downhills that I had hoped to hit 60mph and wanted a safety cushion but I've since realized that was overkill. I'd personally recommend a set of 32/32 or 28/32 wheels. Just as critical ...or more critical is the build itself. A properly built set of either spoke count will be better than a "good" set of of higher spoke count.

Saddles are so interesting...but I think the rule remains the same almost regardless of a person's weight. When you start out riding all you can do is grab a somewhat cushy seat...cushy as in whatever the maker has provided (unless you are really getting an upscale racing bike). I think it's a mistake to get a fred seat (super fat cushion) because it just prolongs the move to a quality seat. It may take your friend 500 or 600 miles to get comfortable but imho it's nothing more than seat time. Even though I'm overweight and sporting a white beard, the folks at FairWheel loaned me a Romin saddle that I still have and am very close to committing to it and it is the hardest saddle I've ever personally owned. It may take your friend a while to get to a firm saddle...and he may never do so...but again, my advice would be to avoid the temptation to get an overly large padded seat. Short of that, saddles are a seriously individual perference where recommendations are really hard to follow.
santa
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling