Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Plasma TT - finally wired!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Plasma TT - finally wired!

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue May 24, 2011 5:56 pm

I really like the look of that new Lightweight disc, it will certainly keep owners happier as I keep seeing posts about how to keep the older white version clean! :D

The wheels are definitely a little mis-matched aesthetically (not enough to worry about though :wink: ), but at the speed you'll be riding, no one will be able to tell anyway and I'm sure that functionally it is a very good set up.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby sybarite » Wed May 25, 2011 12:11 am

More pictures, this is the rear bracket that Scott supplies for mounting the battery under the saddle, but the wiring harness has to be fabricated......
And the cockpit wiring is a pain, the Pro Missile Evo is NOT Di2 compatible - in terms of the holes yes, but there is no way to fit in all the junction boxes, controller, etc inside the stem without using a Dremel on the junction boxes.

The base bar is also flexy - courtesy of the 12 holes drilled in it to mount the aero bars. Not enough detailed design work on this before they put it into production. I'm not surprised that they don't sell the Di2 Plasma in some markets. They should just sell this with a custom Di2 harness - for the bars and rear battery. Time supplies their RXRS with the harness on the frame - Scott should do it for this. Fitting on rest of the Plasma was fine - it's the bar wiring that took up 80% of the time.

Plasma battery.JPG
Plasma cockpit.JPG
sybarite
Cat 3

Postby Ypsylon » Wed May 25, 2011 7:04 am

Well, at least they don't take a lot of money for that combo... oh, wait.

I'm surprised to hear that Pro/Shimano are selling stuff that's not fully figured out. I guess I could deal with the initial set-up being time consuming, the super clean build is well worth it, but having to dremel stuff doesn't seem right to me, at all.

Making a stem a boat anchor and providing a flexy base bar is counter intuitive, to say the least, but it still looks freaking awesome.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu May 26, 2011 12:25 am

sybarite wrote:this is the rear bracket that Scott supplies for mounting the battery under the saddle, but the wiring harness has to be fabricated......

Is it just me that thinks that's ridiculous? Surely if you have a way to mount the battery in a different position then the related components should all be available to make a 'plug and play' system! I didn't realise that the Plasma doesn't have a dedicated harness, but I suppose that limits the market to fans of Di2?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby sybarite » Thu May 26, 2011 3:14 am

Yes, absolutely ridiculous! I think the problem is with Scott, and PRO as well. Luckily my stint in electric rc cars as a teenager let me learn some soldering skills....

There is the non Di2 Plasma Premium, which some shops in the US have Di2ed. Scott/PRO should have just supplied a dedicated harness, for the price of these frames. They have a great video on their Plasma R&D, impressive wind tunnel speak, etc, but it does not translate down to their manufacturing engineering, or even user/mechanic friendliness. The BMC TT02 I had before, had a seat clamp design flaw - that's the risk with 'cutting edge' I guess.

They probably withheld the Di2 version from the US market after feedback from the dealers - if I was a shop that had to jury rig or custom build a harness every time I sold one of these, I'd think twice - even if I could somehow chrage a premium for the labour I would have to think about warranties....

But the Di2 is a fantastic system!
sybarite
Cat 3

Postby climber8 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Incredible bike! I appreciate the detailed work you needed to do to get Di2 set up on there, as I'm doing something similar with a Shiv TT.

I've read this Scott frameset comes with 2 stems (75mm and 90mm). Does anyone know if one can purchase just one of the stems? Is there, perhaps, an owner out there who is using the 90mm stem who wants to sell their 75mm one?

I'd appreciate any leads.

Thanks!

Edit to add: Is the stem angle -17?
climber8
Cyclotourist

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:02 pm

The stem is a regular item from Pro (in the age of google that must be among the worst names for a brand), and has indeed a -17° angle.

http://www.pro-bikegear.com/publish/content/pro_2010/nl/en/index/products/stem/race.-productCode-PRSS00ME.html

I'd be surprised if the framsets really came with two stems, as they aren't exactly cheap and I've never seen one pop up in a "for sale" section.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Tillquist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:34 pm

The stem from this bike is a custom one.

Tillquist
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Seriously? Sure glad you came by and fixed that for me. Thanks.

It sure surprises me, as the regular stem I held in my hand at EB makes, to me, very little sense when not used with a missile evo bar on a plasma.

It's freaking heavy, the holes don't make sense with any other bar and I can't think of a reason to design the trailing edge the way they did if there's no down tube behind it.

But yeah, for those reasons I just assumed it was the same thing.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Previous

Return to General cycling