Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Carbon Ti X-Hub Road

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Carbon Ti X-Hub Road

Postby larry_ck » Wed May 11, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm looking for some feedback, please.

I'm considering getting my first set of handbuilt wheels made using Stans ZTR Alpha 340 rims. I'm not sure on spoke counts / patterns / type etc as I haven't talked to the wheel builder yet. My thinking is if I have the rim and the hub manufacture thought about then I can let the builder recommend the spokes etc that would work best for me - I'm not sure if this is the correct approach, but its the way I'm going at the moment. Anyway, the builder offers a variety of hubs including the Carbon Ti X-Hubs. Does anyone have any real world experience of these hubs, good or bad? The other hubs offered I have found plenty of feedback about from various sources.

Thanks
larry_ck
Cat 4

Re: Carbon Ti X-Hub Road

Postby TheRedMantra » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me. Just make sure that the hub drillings match the rim drillings. You should look into the Wheelsmith XL15 spokes. Lighter than Sapim CX-ray but only 1/4 the price. I've had a lot of success with the XL14 version on my mtb. Super stiff and very light. I weigh over 180lbs geared up btw.
TheRedMantra
Cat 4

Return to General cycling