Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

New TIME NXR

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

New TIME NXR

Postby ciccone376 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Folks-
I thought I'd share my new TIME NXR with you all. New to this forum too. Looking forward to participating.

Details and (A Lot of) pictures are below:

2011 TIME NXR Instinct
Size: XXS (51.5 TT)
TIME Monolink Carbon stem (100mm)
TIME iClic Carbon pedals
TIME Carbon water bottle cages
Campagnolo Record/Chorus Group, compact crank (Record Cranks and Front Derailleur, Chorus everything else)
3T Ergonova Carbon Team bar
Fizik Mikrotek bar tape
Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-way fit wheels
Micheline Pro Race 3 tires
Specialized Toupe Pro saddle (Carbon rails)

Weight: 15.06lbs , 6831 grams (weighed on a Park Tool scale at LBS , "All In" with pedals, cages and SIGMA Rox computer and speed sensor - not in pictures for aesthetic reasons)

I've ridden just over 400 miles on the bike since I've had it and I'm highly impressed by it. From the build quality and craftsmanship, to the smooth ride and agile handling, the NXR drives home the fact that TIME knows what they are doing when they make a bike... a special bike at that.

What is hard to tell in the pictures below is the svelte sexiness, the very subtle curves of the tube shapes. This bike isn't the curvy buxom beauty of a Pinarello DOGMA or the super slim, marathon runner of the Cervelo R5. Instead it strikes a fine balance of slight shapes and simple lines that, when viewed in person, just make the bike look damn fast and full of confident tension.

Of noteworthy mention are the shapes of the top and down tubes. On the upper side of the top tube, right behind the steerer/stem, there is a 'power dome' that blends itself into the sides and flattens out as it reaches the first 1/4 of the top tube. This area is highlighted by exquisite black and red 'pin striping'. Viewed form above, the top tube has a pronounced taper from the stem to the seat post and when viewed from below, the top tube features a beautiful scalloped shape that reinforces that svelte-ness I mentioned before.

The down tube shape is a bit more complex to explain: The down tube resembles a rounded-edge triangle where it starts at the head tube juncture, with the 'point' of the triangle facing 'up' towards the top tube. But as the down tube reaches back to the bottom bracket, it begins to 'flip' itself. You will notice in some of the images that there seems to be a scallop on the bottom of the down tube (a red pin stripe highlights this area too). This is actually where the tube is 'flipping' itself in shape. Now the 'point' of the triangle is on the underside of the tube. But the down tube isn't done with its tricks just yet! As it makes it's way further back towards the bottom bracket, the tube begins to flatten out, as though someone squeezed it from the top and bottom, creating an obese diamond vs. the triangle that it started as. This is harder to show in pictures, but there are a few on the Flickr page that detail it.

The ride of the bike can best be described as confident, agile and smooth. In the time I've had it, I've ridden it on local club rides, some extended rides of 50, 65 and 75 miles on hilly, rough country roads and on a local training loop featuring perfectly smooth asphalt. The bike soaks up vibration well (it does have special fibers woven into the carbon for this) and I've never felt like I was in any discomfort. Though this bike is positioned as a more 'relaxed' ride, I wouldn't be worried if you are looking for something aggressive and fast. It definitely is not a compact geometry-style, 'comfort' road bike. It handles and moves with quick transitions and the word agile really keeps coming into my head. I've descended at speeds over 41mph and it was rock solid and definitely felt like it could go faster than I was currently courageous enough to handle :) Get up out of the saddle for a quick burst of acceleration, and the NXR reacts immediately. I can't compare it to any other high-end road bike, so I'm not going to call it 'explosive' or 'like a rocket', but from what I can tell, it moves when you want it to move.

Where it really shines, for me at least, is on the hills. The first time I rode my favorite hills with the NXR, I literally had a smile on my face. I was blown away by how easily the bike flew up the hills, as if it were being pulled by a magnet from outer-space. I can really feel every ounce of my energy being put towards moving the bike forward. It's hard to explain I guess, but there is truly a feeling that the bike isn't wasting the hard work and pain you put into the climb, like it wants to help you out and every drop of energy you put into it, the NXR digests it and turns it into forward progress.

I can confidently say that this TIME bike is something of a gem, there is something special in what they build in Vaulx Milieu, France. Maybe it stems from the weaving of their own carbon fiber, or the hand-made qualities, or that they focus on barely a handful of models. Whatever the reason, the end result if a bike that looks unique and is a stand-out without being ostentatious, and rewards the rider with speed, smoothness and an agile balance that will make you yearning to put more effort into the ride.

Some photos are below, but all 2 pages of pictures can be found on my Flickr page here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62188042@N08/

ciccone376
Cyclotourist

Re: New TIME NXR

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 pm

The bike looks great.

Nothing to do with the bike, but why is the Audi R8 parked on a carpet??
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Re: New TIME NXR

Postby ciccone376 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:55 pm

The R8 is actually on a slightly raised floor, it just happens to look like carpet, but it isn't. It is in the "forum" of the Audi of America HQ in VA.
ciccone376
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling