Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

safety QRs and old forks

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

safety QRs and old forks

Postby slisk » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:58 am

Hey Folks,

I figured that I should probably put this out there to remind many of the dangers when using old forks that do not have the safety ends to prevent a wheel coming off if the QR opens unexpectedly. Several months ago one of our best riders (who rides a classic steel Colnago) attempted to bunny hop a road bump while traveling about 25mph. As he was becoming airborne, the front wheel came off and the resulting wreck left him a quad for life. If you use older forks that do not possess the safety feature to prevent a wheel coming off, please be careful.

I thought of this while viewing some very nice older nagos today.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Re: safety QRs and old forks

Postby Boonen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:08 am

Ouch, that sounds horrible Slisk!

I've never had these taps on any of my forks, and I don't think there is anyone who races who does, but it does give food for thought ...
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Re: safety QRs and old forks

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Not a nice thought! :(

It reminded me of something I discovered while out cycling in Tenerife years ago while visiting my mother. I was cycling downhill quite quickly from a place I was visiting. As I was travelling down the very smooth road at around 30mph I suddenly saw what looked like a sewer grate in the road. If I remember rightly I bunny hopped the grate and stopped as soon as possible afterwards. I cycled back up to the grate and realised that it was a sewer drain right across the road with approx two inch wide slots around a foot or so long, basically big enough for a road tyre and possibly a mtb tyre to slot into :shock: . Needless to say if I hadn't jumped my front wheel would have slotted into the drain and I would have gone straight over the top. My downhills in Tenerife since then, especially in the urban areas, have been a lot more cautious.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Return to General cycling