Ouch. Not sure on that one. Hopefully Madcow or Jeffr will be able to give you an answer. For the RD, if you did blow it, perhaps it's fixable. Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted.
When I was doing my custom internal wire job I crossed some wires a few times that shouldn't have been crossed. Once I got a burning smell and had to pull the wires apart. Everything was fine though. Then another time I had some wires cross (tip: when doing a wiring job, be sure the battery is DISCONNECTED from the system) and it killed my battery. The ability of the battery to both take a charge as well as hold a charge slowly went to nothing. This forced me to get a new battery, which was much lighter and much cheaper than the Shimano battery though, so it all worked out.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?