Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

did i just blow/short circuit my DI2?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

did i just blow/short circuit my DI2?

Postby redfalcon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:52 am

So I was installing my brand new di2 and deiced I wanted to do the internal battery thing. I tested everything with a shimano battery harness and everything worked perfect.
I think I reversed the positive and negative sides on my new battery and now the rear derailiuer and front wire harness is not working.
I have another di2 setup I tested with.

1. am I hosed?
2. will it reset?

thanks in advanced for the help
redfalcon
Cat 5

Re: did i just blow/short circuit my DI2?

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Ouch. Not sure on that one. Hopefully Madcow or Jeffr will be able to give you an answer. For the RD, if you did blow it, perhaps it's fixable. Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted.

When I was doing my custom internal wire job I crossed some wires a few times that shouldn't have been crossed. Once I got a burning smell and had to pull the wires apart. Everything was fine though. Then another time I had some wires cross (tip: when doing a wiring job, be sure the battery is DISCONNECTED from the system) and it killed my battery. The ability of the battery to both take a charge as well as hold a charge slowly went to nothing. This forced me to get a new battery, which was much lighter and much cheaper than the Shimano battery though, so it all worked out.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:12 pm

It's even more important than burning something out. It could sheer a finger off. The front derailleur is dangerous and the battery should be disconnected if you are going to adjust it. Please people, pull the battery if doing work on your Di2.

Sorry OP, cna't help on your issues. I tried to be very careful when wiring my system and didn't have any problems. As soon as I get my new handlebars in I am going to splice in and add two sets of push-buttons. And yes, I will pull the battery first.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby manninen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 pm

i´d say changing that front set you´ll be okay
manninen
Cat 3

Postby redfalcon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 am

tried that no dice
redfalcon
Cat 5

Return to General cycling