Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Hydraulic shifting

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Hydraulic shifting

Postby Matteo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:13 am

Is Fairwheelbikes going to get one of these? If I understand correctly, this was first introduced a couple of years ago under the name 5Rot. The guy who developed it is now working for Acros, and they are offering this under their brand name now. Apparently it is lighter than a comparable XTR set.

Would it be possible to do hydraulic shifting for the road, maybe coupled with hydraulic brakes? Not necessarily disc, if I remember correctly the Magura HS33 was an awesome break, but then integrated shift-break levers came up.
Matteo
Cat 3

Re: Hydraulic shifting

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 am

Yep Christoph Muthers introduced the 5rot shifting a couple of years ago and it had an even wider gap compared to XTR and X.0 then.

There were very few of his sets, because it took him forever to make them, IIRC.

He was hired by Acros quite a while ago.

It looks almost the same, I think what they changed is they made it compatible to both 9 and 10 spd and you never know what details might be different.

Of course you could use it on the road, if you had the right levers.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:06 am

There's a video with the inventor that explains it all very good.

Video

I didn't know how the shifters work. Someone at light-bikes suggested that it could be great for someone with some sort of handicap, as it should be possible to use both levers with one hand on one side of the bar.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Matteo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Ypsylon, thanks for the additional info and the link to the video; I am still very intrigued by this. I should have been more precise with my question about road use - does anyone think there is a market for the road, enough that somebody would make a road-specific lever? From the video it is not clear whether one could actually fit everything into a road lever.
Matteo
Cat 3

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:33 pm

I doubt hydraulic road shifting could get to the masses next to conventional and electric shifting, but then again, the current Acros mini group isn't exactly meant to compete with XT or X.0.

Keeping in mind that discs are legal in CX now, I'd guess that if Acros comes out with some hydraulic disc brakes the odds of seeing a completish group would rise.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling