Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Working with CF at Home

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Working with CF at Home

Postby Damo_Rider » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Everyone,

I am very interested in starting to do some of my own carbon fiber work on parts like integrated seat posts/saddles and possibly a stem for my own use. I would really like to start with a saddle/seatpost. I received advice that this may not be the best item to start with but I am set on doing so; does anyone have any specific detailed instructions on completing this task? Pictures with descriptions would be useful since I am a visual person.

1. Do you buy a prefabricated carbon tube to create the seatpost or do you buy sheet carbon and form your own post (I think Fiber-Lyte sells sheet carbon to customers)
2. Where else can you buy the carbon needed; is there a website?
3. What kind of epoxy/resin do I need and where do I buy it?
4. How do you go about making the mold - what material is the mold made from
5. How do you dry the carbon - I do have access to an autoclave and kiln at ceramics department
6. How did you fasten the saddle onto the post?

Pictures and details would be appreciated...
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Re: Working with CF at Home

Postby philolson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 am

search on the web - there are many sites which give info on composite moulding, but I would start with some simple parts first.....
philolson
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling