Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Replacement Bolts for Campy Record

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Replacement Bolts for Campy Record

Postby Damo_Rider » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Does anyone know where or if its possible to get a replacement bolt and spring pictured here? These are from a Record rear derailleur and I was wondering if anyone knows where to get an aluminum version of the bolt and a titanium version of the spring. I saw some other posts from a couple of years ago but I don't think an definitive answer was given as to the availability/possibility of a lighter alternative.
Attachments
DSC01333.JPG
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Re: Replacement Bolts for Campy Record

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:03 am

IIRC Günther Mai used a ti spoke to make a lighter spring.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Damo_Rider » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:14 am

SO does no one know where to find this bolt? I have looked at Jersey Cycles and Toronto Cycles and now defunct SRP. In my research I found this bit of data:

"SRP makes three types of titanium replacement bolts for the Record rear derailleur. They are all machined Titanium 6Al-4V rod. The first is a mounting bolt replacement that changes out the 20.5 gram for a 10.5 gram Ti one. Installation follows the same description used for the other mounting bolts described above and requires a small flat bladed screwdriver, bare hands and about 40 seconds. It will replace the mounting bolt used in the Record, Record OR and Chorus. The second bolt replaces the 13 gram steel pivot bolt with a Ti replacement that weighs 7.5 grams and will work in the Reocrd or Record OR only. The pivot bolt is sold only as part of a two piece kit that includes the Ti mounting bolt. Installation of the pivot bolt follows steps used for pivot bolts described above and requires a 5mm hex wrench, bare hands and less than 1 minute. SRP also makes Ti replacements for the steel pulley bolts (axles) which weigh 7 grams in the original steel and 4 grams in Titanium. Sold in pairs, the pulley bolt installation requires a 4mm hex wrench, bare hands, about no time and will work on the Record, Record OR and Chorus."

It appears that the bolt I am looking for is called a pivot bolt and SRP did make one out of Ti at one time. Is there no other manufacturer that produces a Ti or ALU replacement to this bolt???? :bangHead:
Attachments
b1bb_campy_pivot_blt.jpg
b1bb_campy_pivot_blt.jpg (4.93 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:10 am

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kronos-derailleur-pivot-bolt-p-1166.html

Compatible with most Shimano and Campagnolo derailleurs, including Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, XTR, XT, LX, and Record, Chorus, Centaur, and Veloce.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Damo_Rider » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks, I have THAT replacement bolt coming from Toronto Cycles but its not the same bolt as pictured. The term "pivot" bolt may be misleading or even incorrect but it was the language used by SRP in the ad I attached. The bolt actually holds the long spring in the derailleur and its not the bolt that attaches the derailleur to the frame. The bolt that attaches to the frame is EASY to find.

Thanks for trying to point me in the right direction.
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Postby Damo_Rider » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Okay- I am an idiot :oops:

The bolt is already made out of titanium and I found the part number out of a Campy catalog - Part K, rd-re307 (ti.); however, my quest is still on to see if there is an ALU version of the bolt.
Attachments
rearparts.jpg
rearparts.jpg (16.04 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Postby Boonen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Damo, I'd call it the pivot bolt as well, unfortunately I don't think there's anyone commercially manufacturing that specific bolt. The original Ti one isn't to heavy though as it's all hollowed out. I'm guessing a massive aluminium one would weigh about the same and the reason no-one makes one is that you can't really see it so putting in a coloured bolt seems a bit of a waste.

There was a guy selling Ti springs that sit around the mounting bolt on eBay a few years ago. I haven't seen the longer ones around the pivot bolt. If you'd replicate the amount of coils in the spring you won't have enough in a spoke, you'd have to get a longer length of Ti rod. Less coils may or may not work well for you. I've seen people do it on front derailleurs to save a bit of extra weight but trying it myself I wasn't really happy with the strength of the spring and the shifting performance after changing it.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby dunlinii » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Just a thought, if you want to wind your own spring, you could use titanium welding rods, they come in about 1 meter lengths, but as far as I'm aware, the minimum diameter is 0,8mm.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Damo_Rider » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:43 am

So does anyone know are the springs labeled "C" and "M" made of steel or titanium?
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Postby Boonen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:18 am

Damo_Rider wrote:So does anyone know are the springs labeled "C" and "M" made of steel or titanium?

They're steel
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Damo_Rider » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 am

Does anyone know what size the rear derailleur's cable clamp bolt is (pictured as G)? I was hoping that Schmolke makes a carbon version of the bolt.
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Postby Boonen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:11 am

I think it's M5x12, should be easy to measure. They should make a carbon bolt that fits, and if their M5 bolts are to long you could always shorten them
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Return to General cycling