Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby ... » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:34 am

Hi!

I already made 7h ride with it (4 yesterday and 3 today). When I came home yesterday I made some more kilometers with my team bike, for better comparison. Here just some photos from todays ride:

Larger image: http://tinypic.com/r/21aefc2/7

Larger image: http://tinypic.com/r/rhq0c0/7

Of course I just removed the bottles only for photographing,..

Yesterday I rode with my training wheels (Mavic Aksium - Continental Ultra race tyres and Shimano Ultegra cassette: 2976g :lol: ) because most of the time I ride with them (more than 17000km of training this year only with Mavic Aksium, and a lot of races with Ritchey WCS or Ksyrium SL wheels,...and some more rides with my LW wheels, just for my soul :mrgreen: ). First impression about the frame: I love it! The stiffness is very similar like on PROTO-TYPE 2 frame (really very very similar like Scott Cr1 which I rode for 4 seasons in the past years..), maybe just a few % less for the price of lower weight (it would be more than 300g lighter without the integrated seatpost/saddle combo and almost 200g lighter with the ISP and saddle compared to PT2). In princip I changed all the ALU parts for carbon and I also a bit improved the structure of the tubes and it turned out really good.

Yesterday I made a 4h ride with a few longer climbs. First impresion is that it's very smooth and nothing special compared to my Wilier team bike. My team bike is a bit stiffer but the ride is as smooth as with my team bike. For the price of lower weight it's a bit less stiff, but still really nice to ride also for some agresive rides. In descent it's very smooth and I really enjoy the ride with it. Also the integrated saddle isn't as bad as I tought, even after 4h rides and the SLR c 64 is just perfect for me. I rode with Selle Italia SLR for the past 5 or 6 years and just after a few kilometers I get used on the c64 saddle shape. It is a bit harder (similar if you compare tubulars with clinchers) otherwise nothing special, but of course really light.

Most of my rides are in the mountains here in Slovenia (Kamniško-Savinjske Alpe etc.,..). It's just around 20km away from me and I'm almost every day there :mrgreen: it's really beautiful, here just a few photos:

Image Image

Image Image
I FEEL SLOVENIA, I really do :mrgreen:

Anyway, back to the bike: in the descent I just didn't had the right feeling with KCNC brakes. For me 100g means nothing if the ride will be more reliable...and after a 85km/h descent yesterday I would rather have Sram Red brakes. I really like the Red brakes that I have on my team bike and somehow I prefer them. KCNC are not bad, but I really prefer some solid rides.. Most probably it's because my racing career, rather a few grams more and that it's solid...of course the same by me with tyres, bars, stems, etc.,... I'll most probably change the brakes and the bike will be perfect for my taste! Otherwise about the integrated saddle - already mentioned that I could still use a 34.9mm stubby or a 31.6mm seatpost, but most probably I'll let it like it is and will make a new frame for a standart seatpost later,... I could change the bottle cages and it would be still a sub 6kg bike with Sram Red brakes.

Anyway, I'm really happy with it and I'll continue riding with it as much as possible. Otherwise I have to ride with my team bike and most probably I'll ride with PROTO-TYPE 3 frame only twice a week, hopefully I'll manage to make around 2000km with it in this season and after that I'll start with some new projects and hopefully in winter there will already be a new product, will see, it depends on my free time..

My girlfriend really likes the look of this bike and maybe I'll build her a bike next year with this frame :mrgreen: hopefully not to many here would be jealous to my girlfriend :mrgreen:...anyway, will keep you updated as soon as I make some more km, or some more carbon work...and of course as soon as I make some better photos (a friend of mine will help me to make some better photos) I'll let you know! I'm really glad that you like it and thanks for your attention, I'll sure continue with my work...

P.S. just one more photo, a bit larger:

Large image: http://tinypic.com/r/30aykur/7
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby tgadd » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Berk, this is awesome. Just read through the entire thread - in fact I think I registered to read your last build thread. Either way, this is really cool, and I look forward to you building more, and possibly even opening up a custom parts/frames shop!
tgadd
Cyclotourist

Postby ... » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:09 pm

@tgadd
Thanks! Will see what time will bring,..I'll sure keep you updated about my work ;)
Cat 1

Postby RJK8 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:52 am

Awesome as usual Jure. You need to make your own brakes, I'll be the first to volunteer for road testing. :wink:
RJK8
Cat 4

Postby Boonen » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:32 pm

The bike looks brilliant Jure, very cool!!!
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby ... » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks for the compliments!

@RJK8
Will see, it depends on my free time etc.,.. But my favourite part is the frame and most probably I'll continue making some frames.

I love to test the frames by myself, but it would be great if I could give a frame on a test some day, but unfortunately I don't know where? I'll be very happy for any help and informations!

I could give a frame on a test here in Slovenia but it is really VERY EXPENSIVE and at this moment I can't afford it :(
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 am

That's definetly a question for the engineers over at light-bikes.de. I think Syntace does some testing, not sure if they do frames though.

Tour Magazine does testing, maybe they want to make a story about you? Would be cool enough.

Then of course there's EFBE.

http://www.efbe.de/

Price for a complete test is €1050, complete price list is here:

http://www.efbe.de/efbedown/Deutsch/Pruefauftraege/1_Rahmen.pdf
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:58 am

Ypsylon thanks for those informations!

Didn't knew EFBE before.

That would be really nice, otherwise I already get some informations that I could go to the Eurobike next year and have there a very small site where I could have a few of my products if anyone would like to see my work in real. I'll be working on this in the future, of course also on some new products and hopefully one day we will meet also on a fair...that would be really a "dream come true" :)
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Absolutely phenomenal as always!
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks!

It's really very nice to ride something that you made by yourself. Till today I already made almost 500km with Proto-Type 3.

I only changed the KCNC CB1 brakes for Sram Red brakes. Here in Slovenia we have a lot of beautiful mountain destainations and I'm almost every day in the mountains, where the decends are quite fast and I prefer Sram Red brakes..

Here just a few photos from a friend of mine:

http://tinypic.com/r/b9is5f/7

Probably I'll also soon get some new photos, hopefully also during the ride, will see... After some more km I'll start with the design of a new frame, first I have to see if I can improve any detail etc.,..I'll take me time and when I'll be 100% sure how it should be I'll start with a new project, the biggest project till now.
I'm very interested to make a frame for tapered fork, but don't know which fork to choose (to make the frame/fork line look smooth). Probably ENVE 2.0 or the 3T RIGIDA fork, I really like the strainght look of those forks.. Will see, on Monday I'll go to Germany (Eurobike) for a few days and will probably decide there :mrgreen:
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:51 pm

... wrote:I only changed the KCNC CB1 brakes for Sram Red brakes. Here in Slovenia we have a lot of beautiful mountain destainations and I'm almost every day in the mountains, where the decends are quite fast and I prefer Sram Red brakes..

You may want to try the KCNC C7 brakes. I have them on one bike, and Force brakes on another, and I can't tell a difference. They both break just fine.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Ricardo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:13 pm

what happend with proto-type 1 and 2?
Ricardo
Cat 5

Postby ... » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 am

@Soloist Assassin:
Thanks for those informations, but I'll anyway rather stick with the Red brakes ;)

@Ricardo
I rode with them and now they are hanging in my workshop..
Cat 1

Postby ... » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:30 am

Hi!

Just some news - usually I don't spend a lot of time at my computer and probably I'll be able to post a bit more on Facebook with some more photos...now I can keep you updated also on Facebook, you can find me as "Berk Composites"

Of course I'll keep you updated also here, but just to let you know that now I'm also on FB..

I made almost 800km with my PROTO-TYPE 3 frame and I already found a few interesting details that I could improve. I see that I have a bit overdo with the reinforcements in the head-tube area and most probably also the downtube - so still quite a lot of "reserve" for an even lighter frame. I could rather reinforce the BB area a bit more to have an even stiffer frame etc.,...slowly, with some more projects, I'll reach perfection :mrgreen:. That's the part that I like the most - you teach on those projects and gradually improve all the details till perfection, and that's also my aim.

Today I'll make some 3-4h easy ride with it and after that I'll soon write a bit more specific ride report.
Cat 1

Postby Fuchs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:14 pm

this frame looks really really nice. well done Berk!
Fuchs
Cat 2

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling