Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

hello all

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: hello all

Postby Mike K. » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Maybe a note to Santa? Good thinking!!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby FAQinc » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:59 am

@multigrooves and @fybrelite to add also customary are tight jeans a stache and rim glasses, or worn clothing, beard and a crazy look in your eye or a mix of the afformentioned

@moltigrooves Guildford is good more relaxed less hectic also longer commute is a welcomed change for my belly :)
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby multigrooves » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:33 pm

@FAQinc
GET IT RIGHT! The clothes are bought from Topshop/urban outfitter with that 'distressed' look. Apparently there is a sweat shop abroad where they have kids just wearing the garments out: Oblivious Filipino hipsters without the slightest hint of irony (or Prabst).

Do you never get concerned about drivers being less used to cyclists out there, or is everyone just calmer?
multigrooves
Cat 4

Postby FAQinc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:38 pm

I'll be crazy not to, but since there are alot less outside of most populated areas around Surrey it makes for alot less to be concerned otherwise cofee and modern lifestyle take care of the calm bit ;)
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby multigrooves » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:19 am

stumpytrunks wrote:I've never understood the whole no brakes thing outside the velodrome though, bit of a death wish no matter how good you are. Nice bike though!

But I thought you said "pain hurts"?
multigrooves
Cat 4

Postby stumpytrunks » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:39 am

I don't think you can argue with that :lol:

I've raced on the track for over ten years and have seen plenty of blokes who know what they are doing end up in hospital, some are now just a shell of themselves. I just think it's manic to ride fixed with no brakes outside of a controlled environment unless you are going granny speed. I must admit I have done it myself a bit, but before 5 in the morning on country roads with no traffic. It looks like you are running about an 84 there? On a downhill you're going to struggle to keep it below 40kph which means either a skid stop or a broken you. It's just my opinion, not having a go, and the great thing is you are out riding a bike.
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby FAQinc » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:26 pm

@stumpytrunks

I do agree on the points you've raised but the reason why brakeless fixies are popular in London is because it's mainly flat and hills don't exist except for the outskirts of the city, but the cool kids don't go there :P

I have a fixie myself but I run both brakes and also have a set of crosstop levers because I run a 50 - 16 so braking with my legs is not very swift or good for my knees.

What I'm trying to say is given a low gear ratio and mostly flat terrain riding brakeless might be plausible but I've bin in too many accidents to care about being minimalist with braking :)

Oh and if you just wanted to ride home from the track brakeless is just plain stupid!
FAQinc
Cat 2

Previous

Return to General cycling