Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

DIY DI2

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: DIY DI2

Postby nathasm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 am

Oilman wrote:
nathasm wrote:
pritchet74 wrote:Wow. I am shocked you got them warrantied. And also shocked that you fried them parts.

I know I'm lucky, that's why I'm hesitant to try again.

But if what I wrote sounds correct and the battery choice is correct, then I'll probably give it another go.

The battery should be fine, although the capacity is a bit of over-kill for DI2. What worries me is that you'd got it completely wrong the first time, so what are you going to do different the second time?

I re-soldered/re-wired everything. I also switched to an XT60 connection instead of the mini-tamaya. I'm going to try the smaller, lower mAh Li-Ion battery instead of the LiPo.

I have connected the battery up and stuck wires in to the female connections, kinda guessed what was +/-, and measure the voltage. Everything seems like it should work.

I'm not really sure what I did that would have caused me to fry my FD/RD in the first place.
nathasm
Cyclotourist

Postby ToddC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:03 pm

My DI2 battery project is complete: Decided to go compact, light weight, and external. The complete battery pack weighs 28g. Shimano with DI2 Trek specific mount 104g. My pack is very small and mounted under the bottom bracket in the OEM location. (hardly noticeable) The pack was made with a Thunder Power 250mah 2 cell Lipoly. Battery weight was 18g. The cabinet is constructed with a plywood base and balsa wood sides and top. After sanding to shape I used two layers of 3/4oz. fiberglass cloth and resin to create a hard weather proof shell. Next added a coat of semi gloss light texture black paint to give it the molded plastic look. The connector is a mini Deans and is located one inch up the down tube so it will stay dry. I soldered the same connector to the Shimano set-up so I can plug it in if I ever want to. My goal was 500 miles before charging was neccesary (blinking green light/ 7.49v) and so far I am on track based on current mileage and battery voltage. Thanks for the info. a few of you supplied which helped me out with this project. I will send pics soon!

Todd
Last edited by ToddC on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddC
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Toddc - pics? Come up buddy....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby ToddC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:08 pm

pritchet74 wrote:Toddc - pics? Come up buddy....

Trying...
ToddC
Cat 5

Postby ToddC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:15 pm

pritchet74 wrote:Toddc - pics? Come up buddy....

Not working. It's coming up as an invalid file?
ToddC
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:20 pm

What file type? Try uploading to photobucket and then pasting in the img link.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby ToddC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:34 pm

pritchet74 wrote:What file type? Try uploading to photobucket and then pasting in the img link.

It's a JPEG file. I don't have photo bucket.
ToddC
Cat 5

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Too large? Either size of the file or width and height?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 am

Here are ToddC's pics.....
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 am

That mount is bad-ass.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:36 am

That is indeed very sweet. Great job Todd.

I should have my own first electric group in a bit more than two weeks and to be honest, I have no desire whatsoever to go internal with either the cables or the battery. But a battery pack that's a little less dominant and a lot lighter is a very cool idea.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:03 pm

No desire for internal cables? The bike is easier to clean when you don't have to deal with cables.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:10 pm

That's a good point. It's easier to put in a bike stand as well.

I'm willing to put up with that though. A lot of people want their bike as "clean" as possible, and that's cool, but as of now I have no urge whatsoever to run cables internally or hide a battery on a frame that wasn't designed to do that. I really won't mind an electric cable running along the down tube or a battery in the main triangle.

Call me crazy.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Crazy.

Just kidding. If I hadn't gotten approval from Cervelo to drill my frame mine would still be external too.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby maxxevv » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 am

That's a cool job there Todd !!
maxxevv
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling