Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk INTEGRATED seatpost&seat 112.3g

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk INTEGRATED seatpost&seat 112.3g

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:12 am

I'm a fan of your work Jure. I'd be happy to test a standard rail design saddle. It would go great with the cradle you made me for my Cervelo post.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks! I already made a few experiments for the saddle rails and maybe I will soon manage to make a saddle with rails - with round rails (that it can be compatible also with the Ritchey WCS Stubby etc.,...).

The seat combo was tested just for 11h and everything went well. But I prefer to use my sponsor equipment, because the combo isn't for long rides...for my opinion for 2h it's OK (but I train 3-5h,..). I would for sure use it if I would build a "WW" bike for 2h per day rides :mrgreen: .

Will keep you updated if I'll make anything new!
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Jure, pics reflect high quality craftsmanship. Can you speak a little about how you formed the shell of the saddle? How did you release the carbon from the form? (Love the subtle branding! - - -)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:50 pm

First of all thanks!

I also like the "..." symbol a lot!
It has a few meanings - the Slovenian flag has 3 stars above the mountains and I have two brothers (one is also my twin) and in some way that's also our symbol, representing a "life team work" ;)

Behind every "piece of art" is a good mould. It takes quite a lot of time to make it. Of course I have to do some more work on the mould ("some chemistry") that I'm able to put the carbon piece out of the mould. And of course you have to use vacuum or pressure. I mostly use pressure (!) with my own methods. And I don't work with any excess of the resin, because my aim is to make lightweight products with as good propertys as possible, so that it's a really precise work.

At this moment I'm already making my second combo!

This one will be cca. 140g, with UD-look, for a 73.5 degree frame and with 290mm tube.

It's a bit improved - with "3 wings", so that it's more stiff, also the tube is a bit stiffer than the first product, but for a price of cca. +30g. But now it's really bulletproof :mrgreen:

During the process:

Hopefully I'll manage to do the cosmetics tomorrow, hope you like it!

And what I like the most - all my products are unique and in "limited edition" :mrgreen:

Considering that I ride for an U23 Continental team called Radenska (trainer Andrej Hauptman) I'll have to ride the sponsor equipment next year, but I'm already making on some new projects...for my soul :mrgreen: ..probably I'll soon try to make my own stem..will see. Someday I'll for sure ride a "100% Berk" lightweight carbon road bike, with most of my own components,...I'll sure make those dreams true...slowly and with pleasure.

Of course I'll keep my passion for making and developing my own carbon parts. It would be also a dream job to have my own company someday...I really have still a lot to do :mrgreen:
Cat 1

Postby rlpaul » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:04 am

The reinforcements on that seat look like it would make it a bit more comfy, if still only for shorter rides. The weight is really good, even if it is heavier than the first one :)

How is the railed saddle coming along?
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby ... » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Thanks! I was attempting to make the saddle rails, but till now I didn't achieved to make them..will keep experimenting and if I manage to make them I'll let you know :wink:

At this moment I'm not at home, but here is just one more photo of my second combo, this time in UD.

Will post more photos during the weekend!
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:11 am

Jure thanks for the history behind the ... very interesting! As well as the insights into the forming process. (Trade secrets should be well guarded!) Your latest saddle/post looks sharp in the photo in both form and finish. As shown I bet it would attract a crowd at any bicycle trade show!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby ... » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks! Don't worry, I'm the only one who knows exactly how I make it... :grin:

That would be great if I could be some day on a "DIY Eurobike section". I speak English and German, so probably even Germany would be a great destination :mrgreen:.

I would for sure give my best and make a "mad product" to surprise anywho who loves bike equipment! Of course practical - for everyday use (!!!) and lightweight. That's also my aim for my future projects, to build a true dream bike with most of my components...yes, it would be really interesting to take a part on a bicycle trade show...
Cat 1

Postby Thomskie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 pm

... wrote:it would be really interesting to take a part on a bicycle trade show...

But you're still young. Don't go too fast. It will happen sooner or later Jure.
Thomskie
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 am

I know, don't worry...on the first place is my cycling career and my education (the carbon work will have to wait till I'll have more time for it)..but I really love this work and I'll keep working on my future projects - "for my soul" 8-). It's a really a great feeling to ride something that you made by your own. It's still just a hobby to me, although it may not seem so.
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Love the work Jure!!!
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks!

I just noticed that I forgot to send more photos :oops: sorry, here are some more photos:

It's quite proto-type looking, but hope you like it.

Saddly I probably won't be able to do more carbon work till the end of the year, but as soon as I manage to start a new project I'll keep you updated :D

Will see what will be my next project...probably it would be great to make my own TT frame :twisted:.
I would really love to make a new road frame, because I have some new methods how it could be as stiff as the PROTO-TYPE 2 only that it would be SUB 1000g, but probably I wouldn't use it...but a TT would be great for some fast trainings, because I don't have all the time my sponsor TT bike at home. Will see,... :wink:
Cat 1

Postby dalai » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:50 am

... wrote:Will see what will be my next project...probably it would be great to make my own TT frame :twisted:.

About time! :wink: I've been waiting now a while for you to finally get around to a TT project... 8)
dalai
Cat 1

Postby ... » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:47 pm

dalai wrote:
... wrote:Will see what will be my next project...probably it would be great to make my own TT frame :twisted:.

About time! :wink: I've been waiting now a while for you to finally get around to a TT project... 8)

:grin:
At the moment I just don't have enough free time to start with a new project - I wake up at 8 am, go on my training (today in Slovenian mountains..), came home at 3 pm, had a "sponsor meeting" at 5 pm and came back home at 9 in the evening (at this moment it's 21:48 here in Slovenia). I like those days, because all day is connected with cycling, but there's not much time for carbon work. And I also have to study and of course enjoy my free time with my girlfriend - I'm really never bored :mrgreen:

I'll make a new topic for my next project, just don't know exactly what that will be :wink:.
Cat 1

Previous

Return to General cycling