Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

30 hours on a plane!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

30 hours on a plane!

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:15 pm

As the title suggests, I'm spending 30 hours flying from the U.K. to New Zealand next week. Having a three week vacation out there. I'm sure some of you will have done long haul flights before so I'm wondering how easy they are? The longest I've ever done before is around 10 hours to Florida so this will be a new experience for me. I know the plane has tv and I have books/magazines but the one thing I can't do is sleep on a plane. Is it easy, or a pain in the ***?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Re: 30 hours on a plane!

Postby dunlinii » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:41 pm

One of my best friends is flying to new zealand on friday for 6 months. You might even be going on the same plane....

The only really long flight i've done has been 14 hours. And I can't sleep while travelling, so before, to counter this I did like a whole day of exercise, so I could barley walk. I slept then :grin:

I have no sensible suggestions, sorry.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby slisk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Well now, you are living a bit in my world. I takes about 18 hours of air time to get from Dhahran to Arizona. I can't say that I've done 30 but the longest single flight was about 12. I don't think there are any magic formulas but I medicate to sleep. Usually it is a valium + beer or Jack Daniels. I would guess that this flight would be in 2 or three legs so walk around the terminals if you get the chance. Get a good meal, it will help you sleep. Also drink lots of water to avoid dehydration. Make sure your ipod is charged to help drowning out the other idiots that have no clue that you would like to sleep. I don't read much or watch TV. That just keeps me awake.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Compression tights are an absolute must. Huge difference for how your legs will feel when you land.

Other than that have a huge meal before your flight - airline food sucks.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dunlinii » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Do they really make a difference pritch? Might have to remember that!
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby rlpaul » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Compression tights, really?

Hrmm... I fly often, but usually not longer than 6-7 hours. Hopefully flying a cabin that allows the seat to recline into a sleeping position?

Instead of watching TV, I'll usually do some puzzles or read to get my eyes tired. Eating well also helps. Never get any sleep if I forget breakfast and or lunch. I'll usually take something like Advil PM on my carry-on as well.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby dalai » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:47 pm

slisk wrote:Well now, you are living a bit in my world.

Ditto. Living downunder - this is normal if you want to travel anywhere north of the equator! Personally I am lucky and can sleep, which is what I try to do at all times other than when they are feeding us.

As for food, to avoid queues at the loo and get fed first, order a special meal even if only no salt. I always order veg and due to it being a special requirement you get served first regardless or where you are sitting. As you finish eating before everyone else you can get up use the toilet without queues and try and get straight back to sleep...

Once you land in NZ, get straight into sleeping according to the time zone. Don't nap when tired in the middle of the day, this I find only prelongs jet lag. Fight it out, caffeine and keeping busy with help get you through those first days.

Enjoy NZ!
dalai
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:30 am

Yup, compression tights are a miracle worker. The 1st time I flew to Australia couldn't even get my shoes on once we had landed. They make everything better.

Dalai is so right about the meal thing too. It is a huge time saver.

Also, most international flights have free alcohol - which is completely awesome.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby slisk » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:59 am

I almost forgot. Bring dark sunglasses unless you like wearing the stupid masks. The cabin lights are often on well past when you would like to snooze. I wear shades almost all the time to rest my eyes and keep from establishing eye contact with kids who stand on their seats insisting on staring at me.

Pritch is correct - almost always there is free booze!!! So using my earlier formula, after the airline meal washed down with a valium/beer combo and finished with a Jack Daniel's chaser...it's nighty night to the sounds of my iPod playlist!
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby FAQinc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:43 pm

I agree with compression gear if you already have some.

As far as medicating I agree with any sleeping pill with any alcohol depends which gets you to bed quicker

also masking yourself like Zoro or a pro poker player helps I would even add an extra layer fluffy clothing to use as pillow.

And also a slightly boring but still engaging at some points book like the later stuff from Stephen King lots of words for not much going on = tired eyes.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Fuchs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:42 pm

hope you didn´t forgot to send my chainring before the flight :D

have a nice holliday!
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Compression tights had been mentioned to me before but I hadn't take much notice so thanks for that Pritch :wink: The other thing that was mentioned was aspirin!?

The flight is actually 7.5 hours from Newcastle, England to Dubai, then a further 22 hours to Christchurch, 'bouncing' in Sydney for some fuel. I'm a lousy sleeper anywhere but my own bed so the plan is a lot of reading/listening to music. There is in flight tv, but ho good it is I don't know. I'm flying with Fly Emirates who apparently have a good rep, and I've been told that the female flight attendants are not so bad either :xBanana5:

dalai, I'd never thought about the food thing. Damn! Next time... it's a really good idea. Come to think of it, everyone seems to be coming up with good ideas. I feel like I haven't lived with all you frequent flyers around :grin:

Fuchs, you'll be seeing your chainring quite soon :wink: :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Jeffr » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:15 am

Where are you headed in new zealand? I spent a few weeks there years ago. Loved it.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby UNCrayburn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:17 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:... The other thing that was mentioned was aspirin!?...

Aspirin is a good idea. It's a mild blood thinner. Sitting during long flights can cause the blood to pool in your legs. Aspirin can make the blood thinner, more mobile, and less likely to pool. As noted by pritch, compression socks/tights can help with this. Long periods of inactivity can lead to blood clots in the legs, also known as Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). It's a very serious health problem that a lot of folks just don't know about. Check this post for my experience with clots: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3163&p=35717&hilit=pulmonary#p35717 . I would say use a combination of aspirin, compression socks/tights, try to move around some during the flight, and a little booze never hurts.
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Postby slisk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:13 am

Too bad the layover isn't in Bahrain. I'd meet you at the airport.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Next

Return to General cycling