Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Di2 Rear Derailleur Loses It's Mind

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Di2 Rear Derailleur Loses It's Mind

Postby Mike K. » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:56 pm

I appreciate the input guys but I don't believe it is a chain related problem since it began with a sporadic hesitation felt while pedaling. I wasn't blowing any gears while shifting, the chain never dropped between cogs. I believe when it slipped it was because the derailleur gave too much slack for the selected gear. I supposed I could have tried repogramming but I was livid about the problem and the thought did not cross my mind.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:17 pm

I can feel you, but I think it's important to recognize that it sounds more like a mechanical than an electronical issue. It still might have been the RD, but an electrical part can have mechanical problems as well. If you get your new RD you'll have to programm it, so I guess we'll never know what the original cause was.

The important thing is you get back on the road ASAP and don't become paranoid about anything electrical.

I remember one time I put a new part into a computer and soon after that a different part broke. I was pretty mad my brand new part didn't work right and it took forever to find the real problem because I'd been so focused on the new part.

Not saying this is the same as your case, just as an example how a step backwards and a moment of reconsideration sometimes saves a lot of time in general.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Mike K. » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:00 am

Good points Ypsylon!
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby HammerTime » Sun May 22, 2011 3:52 pm

What was the ultimate outcome of this matter?
HammerTime
Cat 1

Postby Gumgardner » Sun May 22, 2011 3:55 pm

He switched back to manual shifting like the Gods wanted. :)
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Mike K. » Sun May 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Gumgardner wrote:He switched back to manual shifting like the Gods wanted. :)
No way! :D Outcome was I had a tantrum and returned the derailleur for a replacement-no time to diagnose problem.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Previous

Return to General cycling