Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Di2 Rear Derailleur Loses It's Mind

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Di2 Rear Derailleur Loses It's Mind

Postby Mike K. » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:30 am

Looks like my rear derailleur is having a major malfunction as it is alternating from seizing the chain on the rear cassette to allowing it to rotate freely over the teeth. At first I thought it was a rear hub pawl failure, but after switching over to a new wheel the problem continued. I AM PISSED!!!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Re: Di2 Rear Derailleur Loses It's Mind

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 am

What

The

Hell

?

How did this come about? If you take off the chain and shift the RD does it look like it works correctly? What gears is it doing it in?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Mike K. » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:43 am

The derailleur tracks just fine across the 11x23 cassette. The antics occurred in the 39 on cogs 21 and approx two cogs down. I sensed something was off a couple of days ago when I felt an ever so slight hesitation/engagement occurring while pedaling from time to time. I thought the pawl was failing. Then today all hell broke loose. At one point I could not generate any forward motion on a 4% grade as the chain was rotating freely over the cassette. (I assume this is what the chain is doing as it is not between cogs.) I was sure I sheared off the pawl but that was not the case. The chain itself is not jumping off any of the cogs from side to side. The derailleur has had a pampered existence. I've never dropped the bike or yanked the derailleur in any direction manually. Hell I've never even been caught in the rain or hosed it off for that matter. Cleaning has been restricted to wiping with a damp cloth. I hope the seller will just get me a replacement. But overall I am very disappointed that this failure has transpired.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:54 am

I am shocked. Hopefully the Almighty Cow can chime in with some knowledge on the matter.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Mike K. » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:18 am

Yes I would like to hear his thoughts. I forgot to mention that for added entertainment value the derailleur locked up a couple of times in the aforementioned gear configurations, preventing me from pedaling. At one point I could see that the derailleur cage was extended forward in what looked like an exaggerated position. Shifting freed things up again.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby maxxevv » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:58 am

That's odd, do check that there are no damaged chinks on the cable? Take out the battery and replug it in again ?

Tried dis-assembly and re-assembly of the system ?
maxxevv
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Nope just shipped it back to the originator in the UK for a replacement.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Damn. Too bad your local dealer couldn't just swap it out for you.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Gumgardner » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:39 pm

That's what scares me about the electronic shifting. For this reason, I'll stick with my SR11
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Sounds like a chain problem to me.

AFAIK the RD locks itself if something's jammed.

I mean, you are the one who saw it and not me, but why exactly did you think it was the RD?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:07 pm

If you haven't sent it off yet it wouldn't hurt to try a different chain.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby geoff » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Hmmmm. Sounds like a bent hanger to me...
geoff
Cat 4

Postby coloclimber » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 pm

That is what the Di2 system checker is for- To diagnose the issue.
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Postby Mike K. » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:13 am

Hanger is true. Can't speak of ability of diagnostic checker to resolve this issue.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:08 am

Come to think of it - and I can't believe I didn't think of it before - but I kind of had this issue a couple months ago. Sometimes when I would shift from the big ring to the small ring while shifting the rear mech too the chain in the back wouldn't catch the cog - it would just spin. I had to backpedal for a second to get it to catch. After it happening 2 times in a month I did a "from scratch" adjustment of both derailleurs - I re-did all of the adjustments as if it was a new build - and it's been perfect ever since. I think it had something to do with all the cassettes I have been switching around. When I built the bike I had a 11-26 SRAM and now I was on a 12-25 Shimano. Also, I was on alloy rings and was now on Fibre-Lyte rings. Just lots of changes in the drivetrain.

So maybe you need to look at all of the things to adjust on the RD and maybe a different chain?

Just a thought.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Next

Return to General cycling