Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Lacing pattern for a dynamo hub wheel

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Lacing pattern for a dynamo hub wheel

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 am

I'm building up two front wheels of a Shimano hub dynamo, DT competition spokes, and C4 V-22 rims.

My own will be 32h 3x, but I'm building one for a lightweight (sub65kg) friend, who'd like something less ordinary.

The hub is 32h and allready sitting here. The two options I came up with was 32 spokes with a hybrid crows foot or 24 spokes with a true crows foot. (Is that even right?)

Weigth is a non issue, stiffness only has to be reasonable (just training, no night crits :D ), comfort has to be ok, can't have him stranded with a bunch of broken spokes in the freezing cold.

Thoughts? Other ideas?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: Lacing pattern for a dynamo hub wheel

Postby ras11 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:42 pm

How did they turn out? There are rumors that you can feel some vibration in these hubs when the lights are on.

I also purchaced the new Shimano 32h dynamo and DT 585 rim. And will be building mine up after the holidays. Just need to save up for the Supernova front and tail light that I want.
ras11
Cat 3

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:28 pm

I decided to go 32 spokes 2x and my pal chickened out and ended up wanting the same. I used a Bontrager rim, he has an OP ceramic and they both turned out surprisingly well.

I also built up one with an MTB rim and 3x and the angle is pretty funky, for the lack of a better word, I'd not do that again and go 2x next time. Not that I know anything about wheelbuilding and spoke angles, but it looks "wrong".

I do feel some vibrations with the lights on when I go over cobbles. Other than that I haven't noticed anything. I use a B&M light with daylight function or what you would call it, that has some LEDs at the bottom that are always on and the tail light is always on as well.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby über-goober » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:59 am

There's 3 leading/ 3 trailing:

3by3whl.jpg
3by3whl.jpg (53.51 KiB) Viewed 723 times

3by3l.gif
3by3l.gif (14.08 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Supposedly it's the same spoke length as 3x. I will find out soon enough, rebuilding a wheel this way just for fun.
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Return to General cycling