Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Alligator I-Links

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Alligator I-Links

Postby Gumgardner » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:54 am

What's the over consensus with these for brakes and shifting. Some people love them but then you hear horror stories. I know they might be difficult to install but once they are in place do they work as well or better than the normal cables. I'll be using them with Ee brakes and Campy sr11.

Thanks.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Re: Alligator I-Links

Postby mdeth1313 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:19 am

I'm using the mini's for my derailleurs and the regular i-links for my brakes-- I haven't had any problems installing them on 2 bikes- a little more time consuming (we're talking 10 minutes) than regular cables, but I found them easier than nokons.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Fuchs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 am

if you do not understand how to install them then they will be a bad choice and because of that, people tell this horrorstories.
they are not that stiff then for examples nokon but shift really smoth and nice. if you install them then you have to work out the right "bendings" so they do not brake and you have to "preload" the wire befor getting on the bartape.
if you look for a lighter wire then these are really fine!
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Juanmoretime » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 am

I've been using them for a few years. I do like them much better than Nokons. The links stay together and the color does not rub off. Proper set up is critical to have them a 100% compressionless. Plus they are very light!
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:54 am

By far the best that I have used. The mini's allow for nice tight bends that you would not get with other systems.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby larry_ck » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Best I have used too .. and I'll echo everyone elses input by saying "preload" the wire too make sure no links can compress in use
larry_ck
Cat 4

Postby Velofreak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:54 pm

They last forever. You can buy the inner liner every year or two years, and keep the rest. So they not just lighter but also cheaper!!! nice!!
Velofreak
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling