Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Vintage Mavic wheelset maintenance questions...

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Vintage Mavic wheelset maintenance questions...

Postby Berzin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 am

I have a set of Mavic Heliums and a set of Mavic Cosmic Pros (the ones with the aluminum rims) that are still in great condition (the Cosmics are actually brand new and just waiting to be ridden) that I want to continue using but I'm a little concerned about not having spare spokes in case of a breakage.

If anyone knows where I could source these it would be a great help.

Also, what would I need to do to maintain the hubs? Should I get new bearings for them just in case, or would a cleaning and lubing of the hub interiors be good enough?
"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."-Freidrich Nietzsche
Berzin
Cat 3

Re: Vintage Mavic wheelset maintenance questions...

Postby CDale09 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:36 pm

Berzin wrote:Also, what would I need to do to maintain the hubs? Should I get new bearings for them just in case, or would a cleaning and lubing of the hub interiors be good enough?

The bearings last quite a while so there's no need to buy new bearings. A regular cleaning and lubing is good enough. Make sure to use only mineral oil for the Mavic hubs.
CDale09
Cat 3

Re: Vintage Mavic wheelset maintenance questions...

Postby steel515 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:24 pm

What about 1990s hub? http://www.yellowjersey.org/mavic571.html
I took it apart but not sure how to get out the cartridge bearing. I tried a spanner but tight. (I'm not a mechanic).
steel515
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling