Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Ax.MORPHEUS crankset - official!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Ax.MORPHEUS crankset - official!

Postby andy2 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Nils snuck this in over the weekend:

AX.MORPHEUS crankset

After the presentation of our crankset development project at last year's Interbike in Las Vegas/USA, we are now after a massive refinement and optimization period, as well as profound testing time in the lucky position to be putting the final design of our highly anticipated AX MORPHeus - Morpheus as in (to) morph - crankset in the limelight.

The development target has been to get a modular, as flexible as possible crankset on the newest technical level going, that sets new standards regards functionality as well as the system weight without loosing focus on the price.

The result is the lightest currently available crankset, that definitely is to be considered a heavyweight in the matter of stiffness and durability. The per piece (without spider) 80 grams light crank arms on the hightest technical status with Formula1 technology feature a torque and durability optimized layup - a guarantor of the high rider weight limit of 110 kg. A 30 mm thick, hollow and highly workload optimized aluminium spindle is paired with the carbon arms in order to keep the costs down without doing functional sacrifices.

Separate crank arms, spindle and attached parts offer the highest possible flexibility: the adaption of one's own crankset to different bottom bearing standards or bolt circle diameters (standard / compact) as well as also the customization in regards to the crank lengths or colour preference.

Technical specifications
System weightt: 375 grams, complete with (standard steel) bearings and bearing cups
Material: Carbon-Prepreg in autoclaving
Oversize 30 mm hollow aluminium spindle with proprietary multi-tooth profile:
the spindle easily withstands powers of 500 Nm as being put out by good sports cars
External bearings with a wide bearing stance of 85 mm (in BSA version) for maximum stiffness and durability
modular system for highest possible flexibility
Bolt circle diameters:
Compact Road BCD110
MTB Double BCD104x4 (in preparation)
Standard Road BCD130 (in planning)
Bottom bracket standards:
BSA 68 mm
BB30 (in preparation)
PressFit (in planning)
integrated extractor
Interchangeable aluminium pedal inserts, that are included in the scope of delivery, for a fast, uncomplicated length adaption:
lengths of 170, 172.5, 175 mm are freely and independantly adjustable between right and left side
all several parts are available separately:
- various spindles for different bottom bracket standards
- Exchangeable crank arms, for instance for standard / compact
- the attached alu parts (bottom bearing cups, crank bolt, extractor, pedal inserts) are available in different colours (and also as update)
embossed AX-logo integrated into the side of the crank arm
no exterior clamping integrated into the crank arms, but instead a positive connection with an ascending multi-tooth profile:
as a result as homogenous as possible stiffnesses between the left and right side
DIN tested
deflection of 1.5 mm at a pedal force of 1800 N / 1600 watts
Q-factor: 152 mm
low "U-factor" for a high knuckle and heel clearance
chainstay clearance: 125mm
rider weight limit: 110 kg
preorders are officially opened and follow the FiFo-principle:
please send your preorder to nils.wiedemann@ax-lightness.de
Delivery starting from midst April 2010
Price: ca. 890.00 Eur

Subject to changes
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
andy2
Cat 2

Re: Ax.MORPHEUS crankset - official!

Postby dunlinii » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Gulp.

I need something new for my bike though....
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

That just gave me a boner.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pk0r » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:42 am

andy2 wrote:Nils snuck this in over the weekend...

The devil told you that, the devil told you that!
| pk0r.com | "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |
| http://www.ax-Lightness.de |
pk0r
Cat 1

Postby Jeffr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 am

It certainly looks handsome. When are you sending one to madcow so he can augment his crank review with this?
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby HammerTime » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:38 am

Are aluminum spindles used on other cranks? If not, why not? What is AX's secret (race cars?) for use of aluminum here?

Q factor is what it is, but I'd rather have a smaller Q factor.
HammerTime
Cat 1

Postby andy2 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:33 pm

hammertime wrote:
Are aluminum spindles used on other cranks?

Storck Powerarms (their version of the THM Clavicula) comes to mind.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
andy2
Cat 2

Postby FAQinc » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 am

It probably isn't but it does cary some kind of visual resemblance, also someone has to make some Carbon Fiber chainrings in the same shade of carbon, I'm whinking at you fiber lite ;)
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 pm

It's been a while, but thought I'd add my two cents to this. The crankset is really growing on me although I'm not sure the picture gives the best representation of how it will look up close (i.e. I think it will look better than in the picture). I'll have to make a point of seeing one up close. Weight wise it's brilliant, cost wise about the same as the competitors (ish). Looks wise, better than the current Power arms and Vuma Quad imo, but the Clavicula still takes some beating :think:

FAQinc, the carbon weave appears to be standard 2x2 twill, same as the Clavicula, Power arms and Vuma Quad..... and our chainrings :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby FAQinc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 am

That I get but can you make it look like that incredibly slick shade of grey, because you don't want any sort of mismatching to happen:D
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 am

I think that's more an effect of the lighting in the photo. In reality I think it will have the same appearance as all the other similarly styled crank arms
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Gold Knight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:29 pm

unless there is a 1k crank for me that will match your 1k rings you are making :)

btw--are they almost done?

Kevin
keep the rubber side down!
Gold Knight
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:47 pm

the 1k crank does sound intriguing. As for the chainrings, 1st set (as you know) is done, 2nd set.... well, our laminator is currently stuck in Egypt due to the European no fly-erupting volcano zone :shock:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby CDale09 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:50 pm

Nils,

Is it possible to get black bolt and pedal inserts instead of silver?
CDale09
Cat 3

Postby Ypsylon » Thu May 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Not sure if you saw this in the long post or if you are asking for actual availability?

I hope this helps a little bit, until Nils comes by.

andy2 wrote:- the attached alu parts (bottom bearing cups, crank bolt, extractor, pedal inserts) are available in different colours

I would be really, really surprised, if black wasn't one of those colors. We are speaking about Nils, after all. :BikeVader:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Next

Return to General cycling