Here are some pictures of a tuning job I did for a friend last winter.
He was building a new bike and wanted something 'special and light', the reason for picking the force over the red derailleur was pretty simple as the red wasn't on the market yet when I started this. Having seen the red I doubt there is all that much different in the parts that I left on it. The derailleur has been 'in service' over the summer and seems to work as expected but I haven't been allowed near one lone enough to take it apart and put the pieces on a scale, yet.
I started replacing all the bolts with aluminium one's and replacing the 4 steel pivot rods with titanium rods. I think the Red even has aluminium rods but I didn't know that back then and since I knew this would see a lot of use I didn't want to compromise durability and picked titanium. That however leaves for some additional weight savings by either choosing aluminium or even carbon tubing.
The tuning bolt was taken out and the steel insert that normally holds it was removed. Some aluminium was cold welded in the hole and tapped to work with a standard M5 threading.
The rear plate has been replaced by a copy of it in carbon. Special thanks goes to Stephen from FibreLyte for helping me get the carbon material and also for helping out with the pulley wheels
I made another (slightly heavier) version of it as well that prevents the chain from falling off on the outside of the upper pulley wheel much like the current Red derailleur has but I don't think it has been used yet.
Other then that it's simply drilling, filing, sanding, reapplying clearcoat to the carbon and then some polishing.
Of course the idea in all this was not just to get something a bit different looking but also to save some weight, it ended up at 119,0 grams. As said there is still some more room to save weight by replacing the pivoting rods and I know there are also lighter pulley wheels available then the FL one's but I like these, and besides if you want you can have FL provide you with some smaller side pieces that will help acomodate the smaller M4 bolt that sram uses for their top pulley.
Having it anodized would be nice but since there are steel bushings pressed inside the aluminium where the pivot bolts enter the body this is not (easily) possible so it's just polished. The aluminium isn't of the same kind of quality as Campagnolo and Shimano uses (but then again, I don't think they expect you to drill and cut in it
) but the polished surface holds up quite well.