Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Creative Cycling pictures

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Postby Boonen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:12 am

LJ wrote:A special portrait of my buddy in Tucson.

I really like your buddies t-shirt :D:top:

Oh and Rasmus, will you get those hubs build already! :lol:

Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby LJ » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Yeah, his t-shirt is cool. Dunno how those came about :wink:

As for Ras...is he trying to compete with me.....or am I trying to compete with him? I may be sensitive like madcow but he invaribaly pops one into this thread as soon as mine go up, obviously taking the gloss away from old LJ. Ras...whats ya problem dude? :grin:

LJ
Mod

Postby Wilier » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:42 pm

LJ good progress, but Rasmus is still the professor!

joke :grin: You two both make excellent photos! Keep up the good work

Wilier
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:58 pm

:lol:

I'd say each have developed a bit of their own style, don't know who is 'best' but does it even matter? All I know is I definitely can't compete with any of them, but to not break our own rules here is another one :wink:

Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Rasmus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Oh come on, you guys won't be able to provoke a contest where there is none. Competition can be good but I do prefer inspiration. And thanks, Willier!

@Boonen; I'm just not sure my spoke length calculations are correct. Plus, straight pulls are somewhat difficult to get hold of. Apparently. And I have at least a couple of other excuses handy as well :oops:

Attachments
IMG_0336-Edit.jpg
vintercykel
"Ride faster, I hear banjo music!"
Rasmus
sensei of polish

Postby Boonen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:54 pm

Rasmus wrote:Oh come on, you guys won't be able to provoke a contest where there is none. Competition can be good but I do prefer inspiration.

:top:

Rasmus wrote: And I have at least a couple of other excuses handy as well :oops:

Lol, that's alright, I'm running out of pictures anyway :wink: As for your rim choice, do you think a 28h DT1.1 will be stiff enough? The hubs are nice, they remind a bit of Mavic's in the way they are built. I raced those for a while as well laced to Rigida rims in a complete wheelset they had years ago. Heavy but strong.

Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby ash » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:11 am

Here i was thinking that people were running out of inspiration .. and boom, some fantastic shots pop up everywhere.

My question is tho, will bokeh help sell my frame!?

Do i go for the artsy crowd, or just take some normal flat shots?

Ash
ash
Cat 3

Postby ash » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:32 pm

Rasmus,

Your pics look amazing. I've just started trying to get some action shots at a local "Dirt Crit" It seems as tho im torn between getting blur to sho action, or just freeze framing it. With a slower shutter speed, and some panning, it seems as tho there is too much movement in too many directions to get the bike/rider frozen and the background blurred (and keep the whole picture framed nicely :P )

ash
Cat 3

Postby Wilier » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Wilier
Cat 2

Postby maxxevv » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:41 am

Ash,

focus on the eyes. If you want everything to be fast and yet sharp with the background panning blur, then you'll have to up your shutter speed. But likewise, your panning blur will be reduced.

One way to get around this problem is to get really close and pan really fast. Say a 50mm focal length and 1/250 shutter speed. Then pan really fast focused on the face or eys of the rider.

A good panning shot takes quite some practice to get it the way you want 'everytime'. Else its more often than not a hit or miss affair.

Below is a sample I took some months back, 1/50 of a second, f7 aperture. Shot in Ai-Servo mode, one of series of 8 I took. I only had 3 keepers ! :P

maxxevv
Cat 1

Postby Wilier » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Time trailing...
Wilier
Cat 2

Postby TiesT » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm the full colored guy in the left.

www.robmeeuwessen.nl - Every bike is can be cool with Photoshop
TiesT
Cat 5

Postby ash » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:47 am

Ti Bling anyone?

ash
Cat 3

Postby Wilier » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Man, those spokes are nice!

Wilier
Cat 2

Postby Rasmus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:35 pm

@Boonen, yeah, I was a bit worried the DT rims being single eyelets as well, but what else is there? The almighty CXP33?

@ash, thank you for the kind words! And yes, there's some technique behind panned shots. You need to figure out the shutter speed -- for my velodrome shots I found 1/200th and 1/250th of a sec best at 130-200mm focal length. Rule of thumb says shutter speed should be 1/focal length to avoid excessive lens shake. Of course, it also somewhat depends on whether or not your lens has image stabilization. Then there's the focal length itself. If you try panning with anything below 50'ish mm you'll inevitably get blur around the edges. Over 50 will be easier. The most important thing though is to either shoot manual focus or with servo assist on the auto focus. With servo assist you don't get a focus lock - the camera keeps tracking and focusing for you. This one was shot on servo, at 200mm (equals 320mm on a traditional 35mm film SLR) and 1/250th of a sec with an f/14 aperture and IS enabled.

And since I have to post a pic: My dirty winter bike! (ISO200, 55mm, f/2.8, 1/250th sec, and the flash off and to the top left)
Attachments
IMG_1962-Edit-Edit.jpg
Snowflake
"Ride faster, I hear banjo music!"
Rasmus
sensei of polish

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling