Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Waxing the chain, a lost art ?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Waxing the chain, a lost art ?

Postby mavicman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Just curious, does anyone wax their chains anymore? When I went to Barnett's Bike Mechanic school, I was taught how to properly wax a chain using the double boiler method. At that time ( late 1980's ) there were several companies that sold chain wax, which came in a round tin just big enough to put your chain into. That was then placed in a pot of hot water until the wax melted, coating the chain in wax while at the same time forcing dirt from the chain. The result was a silky smooth, almost stealthy quiet chain that repelled dirt, grunge, and grime for a very long time. I've never found a product that compares to this method, but its becoming very difficult to find chain wax anymore. Any thoughts, ideas on this subject?
"The opinions of men are not the object of civil government, nor
under its jurisdiction." --Thomas Jefferson
mavicman
Cyclotourist

Re: Waxing the chain, a lost art ?

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 pm

I remember a while ago I spoke to someone was asked to check out something with similar attributes. At first that person refused because it appeared a crazy amount of work for very little benefit so they did it for him. IIRC the tester was quite impressed with the performance but was still not convinced it was worth the time it took to apply. Unfortunately I don't remember what it's called, but I'll try to find out.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Barrie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Is this what you are looking for ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ula-36424/

Barrie
Barrie
Cyclotourist

Postby mavicman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Yes, you are correct. It does take longer and is more complicated than other methods, its not for everybody. But I love riding, and I love my bike, and wherever possible I try to get the best part(within my budget), the best technology, and the best methods of keeping my bike running as well as possible. I guess you could say that I feel my bike is worth the extra time and effort it takes. After all, doesn't a Campy Record chain deserve the finest?
mavicman
Cyclotourist

Postby mavicman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Barrie: Yes, sort of. Looks like a modern hi-tech version. I'm actually referring to the "wax in a can" products into which 1 chain fits perfectly. I'll try to include an image of one.
Attachments
Chainwax.jpg
Chainwax
mavicman
Cyclotourist

Postby coloclimber » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 pm

I used to do paraffin but it was too labor intensive. While I appreciate glueing tubbies- cleaning and waxing a chain was not my thing. I purchased the friction facts chain lube review and needless to say I switched to a different lube that is much easier to maintain and just as efficient.
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Return to General cycling