Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

ENVE SES 4.6 - what would you say?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

ENVE SES 4.6 - what would you say?

Postby Johnny Bravo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:16 pm

hi guys,
instead of a 3.4 or a 6.7 SES, i would like to know if someone has ever thought about a 4.6 combination on ENVE SES wheels.
i know the 3 and the 6 rims are narrower than 4 and 7 rims.
but i was thinking about a better balance between (light) weight and aero benefit, then came to mind a 4.6 setup.
what would you say? BTW, i am talking about the CLINCHER version.
Johnny Bravo
Cat 4

Re: ENVE SES 4.6 - what would you say?

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 pm

That actually sounds like a brilliant idea. But since the 4 is usually spec'd as a rear and the 6 usually as a front, would the hole drillings work as a front and a rear?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Johnny Bravo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:57 pm

pritchet, i got a reply from a wheelbuilderb associated to FWB and he said that unfortunately it would not be possible because the 4 is a 24-hole rim and the 6 is a 20-hole rim...
anyway i would appreciate if ENVE could release a proper 4.6 setup - then i would surely exchange my 404 FC for them.
Johnny Bravo
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:19 pm

I like your idea in theory, but having ridden both, I don't see the hole between the two sets.

Keeping in mind the 4 was developed to be a rear and the six to be a front the odds are that you might end up with a wheelset that is less aero, less stable, and heavier than the 3.4, even if you could get the right drillings.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Johnny Bravo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 pm

i tend to believe that the enve 3 wheel is "too" shallow for my needs and the 6.7 SES is heavier than I expected (I intend to lace a Powertap G3 hub to the rear wheel, so an enve rear wheel with 60mm would probably save around 50-100g compared to a 7).
actually what i want is something as deep as a zipp 404 on the front and 60mm deep on the rear.
unless someone tells me that a 3.4 SES is as aero (or more aero) than a zipp 404 FC setup...
Johnny Bravo
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:19 pm

A wide concave rim will weigh more than a narrow convex one to get the same stiffness.

If you like the 6 as your front wheel, my guess is that the .7 is the best match. If you must have a lighter rear, why not look at the non SMART 65. That should save quite a bit of weight.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:14 pm

But the wheels have to match! FASHION POLICE! But I guess that you could do the white ENVE decals on the front wheel so they would almost match.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Johnny Bravo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:25 pm

still deciding about the new wheelset... I still think a deeper front wheel is more benefic to my training area (by the sea, 90% flat roads, but occasionally racing outside hometown on hilly areas)

so I would like to hear your opinions about this mixed build (zipp 303 front/enve 4 rear):

Wheel 1
Spoke Count: 16
Rim: Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Rim (Zipp X45): 500g
Hub: Alchemy ELF (Extra Light Front) Front Road Hub : 66.45g
Spoke type: Sapim CX-Ray Spoke (268mm): 4.36g
Nipple type: 14mm Standard Alloy Nipple: 0.34g
Wheel 1 Total Weight: 641.70 g

Wheel 2
Spoke Count: 24
Rim: Enve Composites Smart System 3.4 45mm Rear Clincher Rim: 450.0g
Hub: PowerTap G3 Hub (2012): 325g
Spoke type: Sapim CX-Ray Spoke (268mm): 4.36g
Nipple type: 14mm Standard Alloy Nipple: 0.34g
Wheel 2 Total Weight: 887.88 g

Total Weight: 1529.58 g

(if built with Sapim Super Spoke Bladed: less 30g total. Please also send opinions about theses spokes)

IMPORTANT: this is intended to be my ONLY wheelset, for both training and racing. I will have a cheap spare wheelset, but for emergencies only.
Johnny Bravo
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:12 am

That would be a really nice wheelset - my only concern would be the rims not matching. If you are looking at the 303 FC wheels, why not just go with a set of those? I hear those are really nice wheels. But with 90% of your riding on flat roads I would go with the 404's if you do go Zipp. Lots faster.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Johnny Bravo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:07 am

pritchet74 wrote:... I would go with the 404's if you do go Zipp. Lots faster.

my first thinking: is the enve 3.4 clincher set as fast (or faster) than a zipp 404 set?
if affirmative, then i would be able to keep the same (or better) aero benefit, PLUS the lower weight for the set, using the ENVE 3.4.

second: considering the rear ENVE 4 is lighter than the rear zipp 404 and IF both have the same aero performance, i choose to go for the lightest so i can install a powertap and still keep a light set.

third: considering i have 90% flat terrain around and the rear wheel will be the ENVE 4, then i'd better go for the most aero front wheel (not deeper than the rear, of course) - and i THINK a zipp 303 with a 45mm rim and 16 spokes would be faster than the ENVE 3 with "only" 35mm rim and 20 spokes.

i apologize if i am being too picky, but i think this matter deserves a good discussion.
oh, how i wish ENVE would release a 45mm/55mm SES... :wink:
Johnny Bravo
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:28 am

I do agree with all of your points. I just can't get over the decals not matching. That's just me though.

But if it was me I would get a set of Hed Jet 6's. better braking with the alloy brake track, more aero than the options you have, and, and, and, that's about it. They are heavier by a bit though. But hey, I did just buy a new set of Jet 6's. :banana:

I just don't see the point of a carbon clincher wheel. Except that they look better. :wink:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Return to General cycling