Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Help me solve my wheel problem please

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Help me solve my wheel problem please

Postby marvelous5000 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 am

Stop the madness! Help me out! I'm stuck in a bind and i need some help to figure out what to do.

I have a Zipp 404 clincher wheelset. It's the dimpled torroidal clincher, aluminum brake track rim with the pre-88/188 hubs. My back rim is toast. I used the wheel crit racing last year and ended up with a hole in the carbon, and half the spokes are loose. Despite the problem the rim is true but i don't trust it enought to keep riding it. But..
What do do now? Sell off the front wheel, and get maybe a few bucks for the rear hub and spokes? I'd like to get a new set of Zipp 404 FC's to match my 808FC's, a set of new Novatec R5's or something similar, or...... how about what's the cheapest way to rebuild the rear wheel. Where can i get a replacement Zipp rim for cheap? Does anyone have my wheel with a trashed hub or does anyone sell the dimpled aluminum clincher rim? Is there a second tier rim i can buy that uses the same spokes as what i have?

(First world problems, i know)
Thank You...
marvelous5000
Cat 4

Re: Help me solve my wheel problem please

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:42 pm

It'd be useful to know what you'd be doing with that specific wheelset.

I'd probably just have the 808 rear do double duty and use it with both the 404 front and the 808 front, depending on what you're looking for that day. MIght as well try to sell the front wheel at the same time. If you find someone that's willing to pay a decent price, it's all good, otherwise just hold on to it.

Depending on how many miles the wheel has seen I'd probably want new spokes anyway. So I'd not limit myself looking for a specific Zipp rim, just to reuse the spokes. If you can find a HED Jet 4, 5 or 6 or something like that at a good price, I'd consider that as well.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling