Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Qoroz Travel Won "The suitcase Build"

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Qoroz Travel Won "The suitcase Build"

Postby Mike K. » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 am

Just finished building up my Ti Qoroz. Had the frame built to the same specs of my Scott Addict R2 sans the integrated seatpost. The SS couplings are sturdy! The wheels were snagged from my C50. Plan to purchase a set of Enve hoops with King hubs (pewter colored hubs to match the headset) in the near future. Bottle cage is temporary. Hope you like it.

DSC04986.JPG

DSC04982.JPG

I think this saddle cover compliments the metal frame:
DSC04989.JPG

Cable splitting device:
DSC04990.JPG

I've been using contact cement on the last inch of bar tape for a cleaner look- with good results:
DSC04991.JPG

It's all supposed to fit in here. We'll see how that goes in 2 weeks time:
DSC04992.JPG
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Re: Qoroz Travel Won "The suitcase Build"

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:50 am

Wow. That's damn impressive!!!! With all the travelling I do it would be really nice I have a bike like that.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Mike K. » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks. Should you decide to get one I must say that Chris Davies at Qoroz was really easy to work with, and easily reached by phone and email. It took six weeks for the frame to be built, and one day to get to my door via UPS express from the UK. The bike weighs 17 lbs pictured and feels very much like my C50 HP on the road-comfortable with some flex at the BB under hard efforts. Another wheelset will help trim some of the fat.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby über-goober » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Beautiful bike, and the bare ti finish makes sense if it's going in and out of the case.
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Matteo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Very cool! I have been thinking about maybe retro-fitting some S&S couplers on a frame, but bare ti just makes so much sense for a travel build. Can you comment on how long it takes to pack the bike? And is that the standard S&S case or something that only Qoroz offers? It looks like it's made of aluminium. Enjoy your rides, wherever you will take this bike.
Matteo
Cat 3

Postby Mike K. » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks uber-goober.

Matteo, I have yet to pack the bike. In fact I'm waiting for the instructions which are due next week. So I'll let you know soon. The case is aluminum and made by Rimowa. I'm not sure if it's made exclusively for Qoroz. Funny thing about the SS couplings-you must use teflon plumbing tape on the threads or they'll loosen no matter how tight you make them.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:01 am

That's really nice! Embarrassingly, I've never heard of Qoroz and they're UK based!! Mike, do you know if they make their own frames or are they custom made in Russia and imported to the UK like many of the good titanium frames are these days?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Mike K. » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:41 am

Thanks for the compliment Fibre-Lyte. Sorry but I don't know if the frame is an import.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby dalai » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:39 am

If traveling frequently, these ss coupled frames look ideal! Nice build Mike K.
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Glad you like it Dalai.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Great looking bike Mike! :D I really like how all the components match the frame, what bottle cages are you going to put on?
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Mike K. » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks Boonen. I'm going get the Tune carbon cages. Originally I was thinking King Ti cages but I like the way some black looks on the down tube.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby rob56 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Very nice, one should never travel without a bicycle! When I went back to the UK last year for the national hillclimb championships, I built myself this:

It does away with the need for the couplers, and keeps the frame one-piece which is easier to deal with for packing. 13.5lbs with the light wheels.

http://www.englishcycles.com/custombike ... d-concept/

Cheers,
Rob.
rob56
Cat 4

Postby c50jim » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:18 pm

That's a great looking bike and will work well for travel. Someone asked how long they take to pack. I've had an S&S coupled IF for eight years now. It always seems to take me at least 20 minutes, sometimes as much as half an hour to unpack, slightly less to pack. I'm not exactly the world's most handy guy but I've done it many times now. Then again, it's not that much slower than I used to be putting a regular bike into my BikePro. My wife recently got an S&S Seven. She's probably even less handy than I am but it only takes her about 10 minutes more than me. No, I wasn't allowed to help because it was new, we were in France and she had to pack the bike for train travel to a second trip after I came home and wanted to make sure she could do it (and she did).

I've rented bikes several times and decided that unless I'm traveling somewhere else that makes carrying two big bags difficult after the bike trip, I"m taking my S&S from now on. It just feels so much better to ride a bike with geometry that works for you, even if it weighs 21 pounds, as my all steel IF does.
c50jim
Cat 2

Postby Mike K. » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Rob56 very user friendly design on your frame! You, c50jim and his wife, all leave me in the dust with your packing speeds! I had to pack the bike 3 times on a recent trip and spent close to 2 hours to get the bike in the case each time. Although I have to take into consideration that my frame is a 58 cm and it must be stripped of all components but the cranks to allow the case to close- AND I am slow as molasses when it comes to turning wrenches on the bike! :)
Mike K.
Cat 1

Next

Return to General cycling