Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Scott 3 - NEW PIC 7/6 - new bars

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Scott 3 - NEW PIC 7/6 - new bars

Postby mdeth1313 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:24 pm

I posted this on WW as well, but here goes:

I was deciding what to do for my birthday - new crankset, new brakes, but I'm very happy with the setup on my WW bike and the lousy weather bike doesn't need any tweaking. So, why not do something that would actually improve my fitness and riding ability?
Scott 1 & 2.jpg

Enter, Scott 3
Scott 3 (res).jpg

This should be fun. I'm doing this one on a budget (and weight isn't as important - save that for the addict) so I picked up the 3t aura bars 2nd hand at a bike shop, sram apex cranks and shimano 105 fd are here.

arriving soon are sram apex RD, stronglight TT chainrings, sram apex brake calipers, 3t brake levers, exustar pedals (what the heck, I already have 2 other sets), cables, sram 500 shifters, some various length ritchey wcs 4-axis stems, ultegra cassette.

I already own a set of Hed H3C wheels so that's done, also have another ax-lightness saddle I'll test out on this setup. So far the only WW move has been replacing the scott topcap with an edge one I had laying around to knock 5g off. It also looks better!

I should have everything by the end of this week and then I just need to put it together. That all 3 frames are scott -- total coincidence (maybe not).
Last edited by mdeth1313 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Re: Scott 3 (the final frontier)

Postby Juanmoretime » Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 am

:wink: Nice project have fun with it. Good thing you have some time off in the summer. I'm sure you will want to see what you can go on a guarded course where the distance in know and is much traffic safer for going fast.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:47 pm

Oh hell yes. This is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see this built up!!!

Which bike are you bringing to California in August? :mrgreen:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Tue May 29, 2012 4:11 pm

You will have so much fun with that bike.

Definetly let me know how the saddle works for you, I haven't dared to try something light yet, but would like the weight savings.

Wanna know what would go really well with your bike? A fairwheel edition San Remo Speedsuit.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:08 pm

thanks- as for the saddle- shouldn't be a problem since I've been beating the piss out of one for a little over 2 years now on the WW bike. Saddles are the one thing ax-lightness makes that I will trust and use.

skin suit-- that's a non-starter. I'm sinking all my money into this.

Jeff-- 0 bikes on the trip. Otherwise this 10th anniversary trip will be my last anniversary! Come on- we just spent memorial day weekend at my brother-in-law's house in the Berkshires (great barrington, MA). I got to ride up all day Friday, ride all morning Saturday and then I got to ride home on Sunday. Sometimes you just have to pick and choose your battles!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Everything is here except the TT rings. I start building this weekend! I wish I had more time right now!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Come on now - where are the build pics? I posted my TT bike - now it's time to show yours. :mrgreen:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dalai » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:20 am

+1 Always enjoy looking at TT builds...
dalai
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 am

started last nite- no time to get the pics up. biggest issue was not being able to get the rear brake bolted in, but I fixed that! I decided I'm going to use i-links for the brake cables (since I have them already). Only other problem I had was the brake cables I had didn't have the "pancake" style ends. I found 1 in my box of cables, but I need to pick up another one. Not the end of the world (stupid 3t brake levers). :bangHead:
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 am

This is actually moving along nicely, I just need some time to post pics. Classes just ended today so I should have a little down time to get that done (as well as finish up the bike).
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Re: Scott 3 (the final frontier)- NEW PICS! 6/12

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:32 pm

Sorry for the delay- end of the school year is always crazy- I got all my grading done in school today so I actually have a free evening!

Here's some component stuff:
Scott plasma bars a.jpg
Scott plasma bars a.jpg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Scott plasma crank (1) a.jpg
Scott plasma components a.jpg
Scott plasma components a.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 1940 times

After a little work:
Scott plasma build a.jpg

After that I made some changes- the ritchey stem was too long so I threw a crappy nashbar 80mm stem on and I have a 3t pro in 70 and 80mm on their way (17 degree).
The stronglight rings showed up, ultegra cassette arrived. I put my hed wheels on and I just need to put a chain on and the bar tape (black fizik soft touch w/ silver logo).

I also decided to use my leftover i-links but found I was coming up short- until I ran the front derailleur with mini i-links and then I had enough left over for the RD and brakes.
The ax-lightness saddle will not be used, I have a cobb saddle coming that I'll try and I also have a tacx bottle cage mount on the way so I can mount the cages behind the saddle.
Here goes:
scott plasma 6-12 a.jpg
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby dalai » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:53 am

Nice mdeth1313 - deserves better photos. :D
dalai
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:27 am

I love it! When will you be able to take her out for a ride? And yes, better photos please....
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Nice!! I love the look of the tri spokes on there. Just one question, do you need the bottle cages? Most TT riders over here don't have drinks until they're riding longer distances. There again, we don't have warm weather! :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:33 am

For training you definetly want bottle cages.

For racing one cage has always been enough for me. On some short courses I could get away without a bottle, I suppose, but with a skinsuit, where the heck would I put it during warm up? So I just carry a bottle with a tiny bit of water, should I need it.

And put me on the list of those that think the tri spokes look really cool.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Next

Return to General cycling