Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Crumpton UL 4.40kg

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Crumpton UL 4.40kg

Postby Gumgardner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Here is my final build. It's a little different then the one presented at the NAHBS (http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/03/03/nahbs-2012-crumptons-666g-frame-becomes-sub-10lb-road-bike-plus-colors/). I tried the Aerolite pedals but switched over to Look Keo Blades. It added about 120g but I'm happy with the large platform. I may switch back to the Aerolites at some point but I need to get another pair of shoes, since I'm also using the Keo Blades on my Ruegamer. The final weight is 4.51kg with the Enve 1.25 and 4.71kg with the Enve 1.45 wheels. Currently I have Veloflex Extreme Tires (500g) on these wheels. This bike is used for everyday riding. It's under 10lbs but I don't regard it as a fragile bike and I don't treat it as one. I could get the bike into the 8lb range with a set of Tufo tires (-250g) and the aerolites (-120g), but for now I'm happy with how everything is. I'll continue to tweak things though :wink:

Crumpton UL 666g (680g with matte finish)
THM Scapula SP fork 279g (uncut)
AX lightness AX4000 42cm Handlebars 144g (shortened...not sure of their final weight)
Lizard skin 1.8 Bar tape (50g?)
AX lightness Zeus Stem 110mm 65.5g
Berk Saddle Seatpost combo 120g (Test combo)
Thm Clavicula Crank "Tuned" 318g (324g original weight)
HSC PF30 ceramic bb 74g
FIbrelyte50t = 53g
FIbrelyte 36t = 25g
Red RDer = "Tuned" 112g (145g original weight)
Red FDer = "Tuned" 63g (69g original weight)
Red shifters = "Tuned" 254g (323g original weight)
BTP cage = 13g
Far and near chainring bolts 8g
AX lightness Orion brakes w/ carbon spring 118g (123g original weight
BBB roadstop brake pads 19g
Look Keo Blade 185g
Mcfk seat collar 8g
Mcfk derailleur clamp 7g
KCNC Morion M1 33g
Tune Top cap 5g

•ENVE 1.25 931g + Recon (11-23) 88g + Veloflex Extremes 500g
(w/ 6g of stickers removed)
•ENVE 1.45 1023g + Kcnc cassette (11-23) 117g + Veloflex 525g
(w/ 11g of stickers removed)

Last edited by Gumgardner on Mon May 07, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Re: Crumpton UL 4.51kg

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Ha, I didn't know Nils was a dentist now. :D

There's really not much to say other then "well done".

Are the tires on the 25s and 45s the same? If so, I'd probably go for matching sidewalls, so I could ride a 25 front and 45 rear, but that's not me.

Was the RD supposed to have a larger lower pulley or something?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Gumgardner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:08 pm

I'm going to remove the little tab from the Fiber-Lyte cage. The 45's tires are Veloflex Carbons and the 25's are Veloflex Extremes. Both are really quite heavy. 500g for the Extremes and 560g for the Carbons. I've considered dropping 250g by going with Tufo's but they suck so bad and you really can't ride them.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Well, if you switched to Tufos you'd might as well take off the bottle cage, remove the rear brake and take out half of the spokes, so you could save more than 250g.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Gumgardner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Little drastic dont yah think. I just mentioned that because every light build has these tires to get the weight down for presentation purposes. I just wanted to put my build on a level playing field ;)
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Gumgardner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:01 pm

And I should probably mention that Nils was a big help to me back when he was still at AX.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby maxxevv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Talk about Nils.. where has that guy been ? PM'd him quite a while back but he never responded. Does he still come to the boards here or WW ???
maxxevv
Cat 1

Postby Gumgardner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Good question. He just disappeared.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Gumgardner wrote:Little drastic dont yah think.

Yeah, you're right. What I meant to say is that I applaud you for putting on those tires. And I didn't even mean it as Tufo or riding with one brake bashing. I just believe a bike should be balanced and yours is sorta over built to be on the super light Tufos.

While I personally wouldn't ride a bike with that stem, for no real reason other than that I'm paranoid, to me your build does look solid enough to be a daily rider and the tires just aren't in that category. Thinking about it, since you have more than one wheelset you could do Tufos on one of them and ride the other while you glue new tires.

I don't know about Nils, other than he's alive and I believe he still rides.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby über-goober » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:00 am

Awesome! Thanks for posting pics.

Why the weight without (matte) clear coat? Because of how devilish 666g sounds? :D And what about the derailleur hanger?
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Gumgardner » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 am

I just put the bare weight to show how 'light' the matte finish was, because I know people would be saying why would you put a 'heavy' finish on such a light frame. This weight is with the derailleur hanger. I think the hanger weighs 8g. Heavier than I was hoping but Nick said its necessary to get accurate shifting.

Side note...not sure why the pics are cut off. I'll try to fix it.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

I don't think the pics are actually cut off. If you right click you can see the whole thing. I believe on my large screen they weren't cut off either.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Gumgardner » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Ypsylon wrote:
Gumgardner wrote:Little drastic dont yah think.

yours is sorta over built to be on the super light Tufos.

How is this bike overbuilt? I've never heard of a sub 10lb bike being "over built". Besides the wheels and pedals, Every component is pretty much the lightest you can get. Do I have to switch to downtube shifters for it to qualify?
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Not sure if it has to do with not being a native speaker and not being in full command of the English language, but somehow I'm having trouble getting my point across.

I really didn't mean to say your bike didn't "qualify" for super light tires.

When I said "balance" this is what I meant: Almost all parts out there have their place, but some combinations don't make too much sense. An example would be a heavy, very stiff fork and a noodly wheel. The fork could never show it's potential, because the wheel would always flex before the force arrived at the fork.

From what I've heard and seen these tires are really very fragile, have a short lifespan and just don't ride nicely. None of that seems to apply to any other part on your bike, even though they are all very light. So, those tires would sorta inhibit the bike from providing tons of worry free miles, which, IME, it's capable of.

"Over built" was probably not a good term to describe that. Sorry. It was not meant as an absolute, but relative between your bike and the tires. If anything, the tires don't qualify for your bike and it's purpose (which is probably why you didn't choose them).

I hope what I said makes some sense, if it doesn't, please let me know and I'll try again.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Boonen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:05 pm

maxxevv wrote:Talk about Nils.. where has that guy been ? PM'd him quite a while back but he never responded. Does he still come to the boards here or WW ???

No idea about the other site but not over here.

Impressive build gumgardner! :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Next

Return to General cycling