Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Hello .....Newbie Here

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Hello .....Newbie Here

Postby Termitelite » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 am

great site and forum ! time to lighten things up abit, i have been riding my 2008 systemsix for almost two years now around the 18-19 lbs,and i'am ready for a change :twisted: i really like the looks and pricing of KCNC products , which i will buy from Fairwheel of course :grin: seatpost/stem and calipers are first on the list by the end of the year, then i have got to have the K-Type crankset to kick off the new year , wow ! this could be totally out of control by the middle of 2012.....any advice or other comments would be great, feel free to speak your pease , bad or good....thanks !Image
Last edited by Termitelite on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Termitelite
Cat 5

Re: Hello .....Newbie Here

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:41 am

Hello and welcome!

You've got a very nice base to start your tuninig with. The KCNC stuff in general really has good value.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but if you gould get away with a straight seatpost that would save a bit of weight, but if you'd have to shove your saddle all the way back and sit on the end of the saddle that gives you a lot of leverage, which is bad in this case, as it would put a lot of stress on the saddle rails and seatpost head. Compromising you position to save 50g is also a very bad idea.

Then, it's also worth to look into the little stuff, like expander/starnut, spacers, top cap, seatpost clamp, bottle cages, rim strips, innertubes, QRs... Depending on what you have now you can sometimes save a ton of weight without spending $$$. If you need advice on a specific pieces or part just let us know.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:09 pm

That's a really nice bike as it is and welcome to the forum. :D

If it were my bike I'd be aiming to 'blacken' all the components that are silver. Your suggestion of KCNC parts sounds great, so may be all in black, add a black Rival front and rear derailleur, black KCNC brakes, black cranks and may be some Stronglight CT2 chainrings. One step at a time though :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Termitelite » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:15 pm

thanks for the welcome and advice guys! i agree with ya Ypsyion on the post and the little add on cheaper stuff ,that can add up or should i say subtract? :mrgreen: also Thanks , Fibre-Lyte for the suggestions on the black derailleurs and shifters ,they stand out waaay to much as of now, yes one step at a time , for this build i would like to slowly get it down to 15 or so pounds, thanks again !
Termitelite
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Sup Newbie!

:party:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Termitelite » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:44 pm

thanks ! the C2 post looks nice but weighs in at 269g and the FSA bars come in at 285g .. :shock: just these two pieces can be a good chunk of it right there! :grin:
Termitelite
Cat 5

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:18 pm

If you're more bothered about the weight than the looks, then you could shave quite a bit of weight by swapping out the wheels. Trouble is, they look soooo good on the bike :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Termitelite » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:14 am

Last edited by Termitelite on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Termitelite
Cat 5

Postby Termitelite » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:03 am

one of the first parts for the SystemSix is a SC WING stem weighing in at 108 grams ,
Attachments
img4490274.JPG
img4490274.JPG (12.58 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Termitelite
Cat 5

Postby Termitelite » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:05 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:If you're more bothered about the weight than the looks, then you could shave quite a bit of weight by swapping out the wheels. Trouble is, they look soooo good on the bike :D
thanks these are at 1525 grams alittle over 300 grams lighter than the Mavic Aksium's 1885 grams ....i'am checking into some handbuilt rims that should be in the 1200 range here in the Dallas area .
Last edited by Termitelite on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Termitelite
Cat 5

Postby Termitelite » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:01 pm

few more new/used parts a KCNC Ti post ,which i cut down and a very light SLR saddle(250g total), also Mr Control calipers (224g) i also have done away with all the Rival coponents , Sram Force Derailleurs are one the way , with Carbon shifters, still kicking around a Crankset, I see the KCNC on sale from FW , but d $$$ wise i 'am thinking FSA Pro Carbon or the Sram Force which are not the lightest but quite abit less than i had ,any suggestions ...
Termitelite
Cat 5

Postby Termitelite » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:20 am

finished for now @ 16.5 loaded ,well almost finished, looking at some Topolino wheels ?Image
Termitelite
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:25 am

What led you to the Bontrager fork? Just curious.

I have never ridden Topolino wheels, but I have a friend that swears by them.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Termitelite » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:35 am

the fork is a Cannondale , had to replace it due to the original one not being properly cut , i shot some semi gloss paint on it and had the Bontrager decals lying around, i thought they would raise some eyebrows :? this fork will be cut down properly in the next week or so..
Termitelite
Cat 5

Postby slisk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:59 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:That's a really nice bike as it is and welcome to the forum. :D

If it were my bike I'd be aiming to 'blacken' all the components that are silver. Your suggestion of KCNC parts sounds great, so may be all in black, add a black Rival front and rear derailleur, black KCNC brakes, black cranks and may be some Stronglight CT2 chainrings. One step at a time though :wink:

What he failed to mention is that his carbon rings would improve the look of that bike sooooo much (no KCNC prices however).

Nice bike, welcome to the forum.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Next

Return to General cycling