Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Marco - disable cycling solutions

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Marco - disable cycling solutions

Postby mgiaro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm Marco, from Italy, cycling fan, sw engeneer, sport (semi-pro) photographer but, moreover, helper fotr some italian paracycling athlets.

I've found in you forum the true "pioneer" spirits, the one we don't have.
And I have seen that there so much ideas for people cycling with one one arms (for shifters, for example).
So I hope you will help me (and Francesca, the disable athlet I follow) to get the best bike for the paralymic dream of London 2012.

regards
Marco Giaroli - Italy
mgiaro
Cat 4

Re: Marco - disable cycling solutions

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Very interesting task you are up to.

So, in what way is Fancesca disabled (I guess she only has one arm, since you mention that example?), and what discipline is she performing? Road race, TT, or both? MTB? What are the courses for those disciplines like? Are the regulations the same as for "regular" UCI events (6.8kg minimum weight, no disc brakes on road bikes...)
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Oilman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Get her a DI2 group and connect both brakes to one lever.
Oilman
Cat 3

Postby Boonen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Welcome to the forum Marco, sounds like an interesting project you have on hand! I'm sure people here are willing to help with idea's if you let us know what you need solved.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby mgiaro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:48 am

Hi all!
Francesca is on wheelchair, and she compete with handbike. It's a three wheels bike, she moves it with arms power.
When I'll have the new pieces of the bike ready, I'll make some pics. She make tt, road race and also team relay (3 athletes from each nations make two short run one after the other).
this is a pictures of francesca(to understand the need of "one hand control")
fra.jpg

But for sure I've seen many idea here that could be great for many other people with disability.
thanks all
Marco
mgiaro
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 am

Very interesting. I'm not sure what exactly you need help with, but if I wanted to change gears with one hand something electrical would be my first choice as well, because you need very little force to push a button and can easily hold on to the crank.

The other thing that comes to my mind is that I'd want rear brakes. Not sure how technical those courses are, but if you need to brake at some point that would be a huge advantage. I'd look at something like the the Trickstuff Doppelmoppel, like that you could use at least two brakes with one lever and very little force.

With that much stuff going on around the front wheel, I think I'd like to use a disc there, but I don't know if budget and rules allow that.

The last thing on my list is that the feet look like aero catastrophes, not sure if comfort allows for this, but if you could place them a little more pointy, I'm sure that would help. Maybe put something inside the overshoes on top of the foot (trailing edge), to make the overall shape a bit more aero.

Maybe you could provide a close up of the hand/crank area, so we can see what things are like right now?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby mgiaro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:49 am

So...
brakes and breaking are not a problem: on the front wheels there are two brake (one standard and one for emergencies). Disk brake is'nt possible due to the frame concept.

I'va right now talked with shimano tech support. I saw that in ultegra DI2 you can disassemble the switches from the brake levers. I was told that with some more work, you can remove the switches wired without cuttint the female connector. This is interesting for two aspects:
- if you have trouble, just reassemble and warranty is ok (no cut and soldering...)
- if you don't need any more, reassemble and sell as used.

The last aspect is to know if there is the possibility of use one only button for front derailleur, but it's not so important.

have one less cable and cable house turning is more safe and power saving too. If I can do wireless brake.. :-) (OK OK I'm JOCKING!!!)
thanks
Marcone
mgiaro
Cat 4

Postby Cyco » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:35 am

For brakes on a handcycle I'd go for a hydraulic set up, Magura used to have some that fitted straight to a road bike brake mount, and run it through a rotational coupling. Would give excellent, precise control
If it fails just after the finish line it is over built. It should fail right on it to be the perfect weight
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby mgiaro » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 am

Thanks! I will investigate this solutions. Right now we have dura ace set and corima pads, and they works fine. It's rear derailleur that need a more precise cable setting and the rotation of the cable are not good for precision.
If there was a wireless solution for the shifters... :-)
mgiaro
Cat 4

Postby maxxevv » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:29 am

Interesting work there.

I see Jason and Jeff's synchronous-shifting Di2 MTB hack to be ideal for a handcycle athlete if the courses they race on require the full range of gears. Just 2 buttons for both front and rear derailleur. ( you can check on their Interbike synchronous shifting Di2 hack to see what I mean )

I'm sure it would be a wonderful showcase project for Fairwheel and possibly for Shimano too. :bike:
maxxevv
Cat 1

Return to General cycling