Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Mr Black (Label)

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Mr Black (Label)

Postby sybarite » Thu May 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Time RXRS Di2 finally arrived. Easiest to plug and play - all prewired and battery holder installed. All tools and instructions for cutting ISP and fork included (but no hacksaw :-)). Noticeably stiffer front end than RXR, less downhill shimmy on brakes, etc. Matt white fonts stain almost permanently, my grubby chain fixing finger touched the big 'T' on the down tube and the print is still there despite alcohol, Fantastik 409, etc. And the RZRs are stiff, didn't see any of the previous Lew problems so far.
RXRS.JPG
sybarite
Cat 3

Re: Mr Black (Label)

Postby pritchet74 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Wow, beautiful build and one of the sexiest cranksets ever. What's with the funky bend on those bars?

With the history of the Lews I am shocked that you went with those wheels - it just seems like too big a risk. Glad you are happy with 'em though.

What's the bike weigh?

:banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Gumgardner » Thu May 26, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm not crazy about those bars, but it's not my bike. Give me the bike and I'll put different bars on. Ok thanks ;)
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri May 27, 2011 1:37 am

Nice, very, very nice 8)

Are those standard Di2 pulleys in the back? They look a little different?

I'm not mad keen on the chainrings but that's a personal bias :grin: The rest is great!
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby sybarite » Fri May 27, 2011 2:29 am

Bars are 3T Bio Morphes, have looked for flat topped, compact bars around but this still works for me. I've tried every bar stem combo (Deda, Zipp, Schmolke, FSA, PRO, Talon, waiting for new Vuka Sprint, and even a NORA combo), this still ended up being a personal preference.

Same with the wheels, the RZRs are the best handling and stiffness I've tried so far - very different from the Lews or even 20 spoked LW fronts. My other favourite wheel is a set of 25mm Enve tubulars laced with Extralite hubs - surpringly stiff and climbs well. The older Lew that another riding buddy had ended up with an endlessly squeaking rear hub after 3 weeks - hope that doesn't happen here. Mavic Ultimates are a close second. MVs and Ventoux are too soft for me, and I will get to try a set of Madfiber loaners to test next week.....

The rear cage setup is a half Berner 15T - communication with Berner was tough - so I ended up buying a pulley through someone in Europe instead of having it fitted, etc. Shifts alright with Di2 afaik.

The crank and chainrings came together - 7900 specific rings built for the 7900C crank. I still refer my 175 cranks, have a nice Rotor 3D+ that cannot fit BB86 frames (the thinner bearing retrofit disintegrates - dont ask how I know), and 3D cranks are still 'in production'......maybe EEs will beat them? Nothing quite like stiff cranks, shoes, and a smooth BB to feel the effects of better 'power transmission'....and I'm sure there must be a pedal equation in there somewhere...
sybarite
Cat 3

Return to General cycling