Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Hello! I'm the New Guy.

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Hello! I'm the New Guy.

Postby matt kock » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:14 pm

I love this shop and site. It's a much fun as Weight Weenies. I live in Houston Texas but I've ridden and raced everywhere (California, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, NY, Vermont, North Carolina, etc. etc.) I don't race anymore because of some pretty big crashes (Car and Bike) I just Love riding my bike which is currently a 13.91lb NINER Air 9 Carbon. My wife is taking up the racing reigns and her first race is this Saturday, it's a 12 hour race. She rides a 16.7lb Specialized SS with Amp fork.
Attachments
IMG_0644.JPG
matt kock
Cat 5

Re: Hello! I'm the New Guy.

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Kickass.

First off, this is a way more fun place than ww. :banana:

2nd, get some good pics of both bikes and a build list. Yer wife's bike sounds sweet! And a 12 hour race for a "first race"? She has some balls! That's insane!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Boonen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Welcome on board Matt.
Sounds like some nice bikes indeed, and a 12 hour mtb race, wow! :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby dunlinii » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 pm

That is one sweet picture, and yeah, 12 hours sounds a bit hardcore for a first race?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 am

Welcome Matt, that is a great shot of the bike.

I wish your wife the best of luck with her 12hr race. They have a few of those over here and I've always liked the idea of doing one, but never got round to it. Is she doing it as an individual or as part of a team?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby matt kock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks for the welcome guys. My wife will be part of a team but she's pretty excited. We're having some crazy cold (for us) weather so it will most likely be COLD in the morning and warm up just a little later on for her but she's Stoked! Here's a closer bike pic and I'll post a full build list soon. I've had this thing since August 24th last year and it's my first 29er. I've built a couple WW bikes before but I've never (nor will I ever) build something I couldn't properly Thrash!!! 13.91lbs scoots down the trail pretty darn good.
Attachments
IMG_0538.JPG
matt kock
Cat 5

Postby matt kock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:49 am

This was before the cables were cut. ;-)
matt kock
Cat 5

Postby Juanmoretime » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Welcome! That is way insane! My 29er single is almost 10 lbs heavier although it does have a suspension fork on it.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby slisk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Juanmoretime wrote:Welcome! That is way insane! My 29er single is almost 10 lbs heavier although it does have a suspension fork on it.

I was waiting for Mr. Moretime to mention that bike. I like it too!
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby j0m » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Welcome to the board Matt! That's a very sweet and clean looking bike you got there! :top:
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby matt kock » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 am

Here's my build list.
Niner Carbon frame and fork.....................................................1998g
Ritchey Super Logic bar...........................................................140g
FSA OS99 stem 90mm w/ Ti bolts...............................................104g
Carbon stem cap w/ alloy bolt and Extralite expander.........................11g
KCNC Ti Pro Lite post 400mmx31.6mm..........................................166g
Edge carbon saddle.................................................................110g
Mortop seatpost clamp w/ Ti bolt.................................................10g
Esi silicone grips cut down to 4.25"...............................................36g
Sweetwing cranks+BB w/Salsa 22t ring, Kcnc bolts & ceramic bearings......520g
KMC x10sl chain.....................................................................190g
Formula R1 brakes w/ carbon levers F+R........................................360g
Complete 29er Race wheelset w/tires, tubes, rotors, skewers, everything..2481g
Crank Bros 4Ti pedals..............................................................170g
Misc Ti and alloy bolts..............................................................12g

Total=6308g..........13.91lbs
matt kock
Cat 5

Postby Kinetic-UK » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:44 am

Welcome from a newbie myself, you own my dream 29'er! That is a very light bike!
Visit my forum for GT Owners http://www.gtbikeowners.com
Kinetic-UK
Cat 5

Postby UNCrayburn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:32 am

Nice bike Matt. Based on your build, you might be interested in my neighbor's blog: teamdicky.blogspot.com . He's in the process of building up a new bike with the tapered version of the Niner fork and was/is the 2006 24 Hour Solo Single Speed World Champion. The coverage of his bike builds is intermittent, but his other material is quite entertaining.
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Return to General cycling