Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Introducing Victoria....... (new wheels on Page 31)

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Introducing Victoria....... (Version 2.4 PICS on Page 12

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat May 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Aha, I kept meaning to email to ask how they were going but never got around to it. Good to see they're doing ok.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:27 am

So I am itchin' to shave some weight from my mistress. I am getting some Keo Blade pedals, so that will knock a bit of weight off. I can't think of anywhere else to shave some weight that will keep the bike race-worthy. No carbon bars as I have seen too many snap after a crash. I would do a carbon stem, but I don't know of one that's really that much lighter than my Ritchey 4-Axis with the ti bolts. Saddle would be an option, but not too sure what might work that's lighter and durable. Full carbon isn't an option since in races you can hit cracks in the road and potholes without the option to see them & get yer ass off the saddle. I have cracked one carbon saddle from hitting a crack in the road while seated and don't plan on doing it again. Anyone got any bright ideas?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Jeffr » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:43 am

I race my phoenix. I've even crashed it twice and chipped it slightly but no trouble. I think of all the things ax makes the pheonix is the nicest. I have alu bars, stem, seatpost, etc. but a full carbon saddle. I like it so much I bought two. You could also look at those dash ones, they look nice and have a little leather and padding.

Really there isn't much weight to lose without compromise. Do you have a full ti cassette? You could spend a bunch of money tuning small things, bolts, caps, headset, clamps, pulleys, etc. but ultimately you're only going to save 100g or so.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby BMANX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:25 am

you are not going to like my suggestion but there is a lot of weight to be saved by replacing your brakes. Please do not throw stones, shot me or beat me with a stick just because I suggested you look there. Just a thought. EE brake maybe?
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:30 am

I think you should start with the little stuff. The S3 seatpost head weighs a ton, and finding a lighter cradle and useing some KCNC style yokes woulds shave a ton of weight.

I wanted to do that but never got around to it. I even got the yokes sitting here. I haven't found a matching cradle so far, though.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 pm

The brakes are not an option. Aero is first priority, weight is second.

I like the idea of tuning the seatpost head. I need to look into that more seriously. :mrgreen:

You know Jeff, I hadn't even considered the cassette. I run Dura-Ace cassettes right now, so there is definitely weight to be saved there. Would Omni-Racer be the best option for proper shifting?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I have been playing with the seat post on my SLC and did use a Ti bolt and cut the post down to 250mm which leaves 102mm of post in the frame. The post at 250mm with one ti bolt comes in at ~170g The head is a pig as mentioned.

The issue with doing what Ypsylon is suggesting with the cradle and yokes is that Cervelo runs one bolt from the bottom and the other from the top entering into the post itself. I can not see the double yoke and new cradle working very well. I did think about it and played around with that using some parts from my KCNC post.

I would love someone to come up with a carbon cradle and top piece like I am now using on my Thomson posts.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:11 pm

You'd have to drill out the threads out off one of the yokes or use a bolt that is not threaded all the way up to the top, but I guess the bolt is a little thicker than the threaded parts, so I guess taking half a mm out of the yoke is the better way.

If I find the time I'll give it a shot this week-end.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby BMANX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:17 pm

I guess it also depends on how far you want to take this. I know that you are riding with power these days and I know that you can do a Quark system on a Lightning cranks at 622g. Check this out.

http://www.cyclingtechblog.com/2010/07/ ... hainrings/
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Ypsylon. Was there not a guy that was thinking about doing carbon uppers for the Cervelo posts?
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:46 pm

I think we were talking about it with "..." around christmas and I think it was about the cradles, but we did have an entire thread about it, I think in the diy section.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Coming soon.....

The long-time-coming TT version of Victoria will be built up next week for a TT next Wednesday. Brake levers won't be on the extensions as shown in the picture - they were there from a previous concept that was never completed.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:34 pm

That is a very sexy set up. I like it. Glad I could help out. You should have told me that you needed some Vision levers for the basebars that do not have the lip machined off of them as I have those for sale as well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Damn. I found a set locally on Monday and I just ordered the adapters. All I need to really complete the build is an Adamo saddle, but that will happen next season.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby FAQinc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:20 pm

I really like your idea with the brake extensions even so that if let's say you move them up a bit more and instead of fancy bars get a mtb flat bar chop it and put bar ends that would be a pretty affordable aero TT set up:) wit less frontal drag area as well.

But in the mean time isn't a USE TULA bar more aero than that HED?

P.S.Victoria looked very sexy with those edge wheels(wiping drool)
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling