Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

EE brake review

Re: EE brake review

Postby madcow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:06 pm

The return spring was strengthened about a month after I wrote that review. Though it turns out my initial fears of if weakening over time may have not been totally correct as I currently still ride this original set of brakes on one bike and it has the original springs in it still and is without problem and that's 3 months short of 2 years of use.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 pm

I had my return spring "give up" on the rear brake after a week of riding 7+ hours/day in the pouring rain this spring during a training camp. We also go sorta lost some times as we were away from home and got really dirty. Not something that I would call road use. Anyways, "pumping" the caliper by hand a couple of times solved the issue enough so that I could safely go home with my group. At night I wrote EE an e-mail and had a reply from Jeremy himslef within hours with detailed pics of what he suggested to do. I followed his instructions and the brake was running as new within a matter of minutes. It was the first real maintainance I did on the brakes after a year and a half. Considering the amount of gunk I got out of the brake the return spring is not something to be concerned about. It's not only the brake that is that goood, it's the support that comes with it as well.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby UpFromOne » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Anyone have any update comments on the current EE, since the most recent post here 17 months ago?
UpFromOne
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:16 am

Mine are still going strong and I actually want a 2nd set pretty bad.

I thought I had to get a pair of the new generation to be able to use my ENVE/Smart wheels, but they work just fine with my older model.

So, unfortunatly now comments on the newer model from me.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby j0m » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:42 pm

IIRC my pair is from spring 2010. Still going strong. I should probably add a picture of what my brakes have to endure. The rear has been completely covered in mud and sand for a couple of months now. :-) I can't say that I've noticed any degradation over time.

I haven't performed any scientific tests and I'm probably not the world's best mechanic but I think that for me Shimano brakes perform slightly better. But apart from when using my Edge rims in the wet on gnarly roads it's not a problem. Right now I'm using alu rims and as long as I adjust for pad wear they work well even in the wet.
j0m
The Big Brain

Previous

Return to Reviews